Topic: Unable to add a species record

I am having problems with the import routine,

With Southern Marsh-orchid, when I try to match it to a species in the taxon dictionary I get the error message "The taxon selected is from a species list that is inappropriate for data entry purposes. Please choose a taxonomic checklist to select the taxon from"

I have tried using the VASCULAR PLANTS list and the Recorder 3 list - both on common name and scientific and get the same error every time

Help

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Unable to add a species record

I had the same problem a few days ago when trying to enter a lichen record, it wouldn't accept it from any dictionary. Other records could be added without any problem. This may have resolved itself after a reboot but I'm not sure.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

See https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6772

Should be fixed (for Southern Marsh-Orchid) ?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

I am on the latest version of R6 and dictionary so there may be another problem lurking in there somewhere. I'll note down the details if it happens again.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

That's embarrassing - I raised this problem a year ago and I'd totally forgotten! Obviously the dictionary upgrades (I'm on dictionary 0000003X) didn't fix the problem

I've now run Mike's SQL script but I don't know if it worked until I have another D.praetermissa to import

Craig

Craig Slawson

This is a complicated problem caused by the fact that 6.26.1 did not cope correctly with changes in the way some species were set up in the dictionary. As long as dictionary upgrade 00000003X was run after upgrading to RC 6.27 or 6.28 it should now be OK.  If the upgrade to 0000003X was run with 6.26.1 installed  then  6.26.1 will have corrupted the dictionary by undoing the fix in 0000003X. 

However, there could be something else going on here and I will need to make sure the problem in 6.26.1 has actually been resolved in 6.28 and that the dictionary upgrade to 00000040 hasn't caused another problem.

R6 is trying to stop users using taxa for data entry where they or their parents are considered redundant. This used to be  determined by the R6 application,  but after 6.26.1 is  determined by entries in the dictionary, which allows more control. In some instances it could be that some previously used taxa  have become redundant so R6 may be correct or we may have inconsistencies in the dictionary.

Please continue to let me know any problems you come across and which versions of R6/Dictionary you are on.

Mike Weideli

Hi
I have run some checks now and it looks like 6.28 and dictionary upgrade 00000040 are OK.   Dactylorhiza praetermissa forma praetermissa and Dactylorhiza chuhensiss  will not allow data entry because they are marked redundant in the dictionary. Dactylorhiza praetermissa and Dactylorhiza praetermissa subsp. junialis do allow data entry. As stated above please continue to let me know any problems you come across and which versions of R6/Dictionary you are on. Very possible with the lichen that this is something to do with the recent dictionary changes.  The lichen which are not allowed for data entry are, Verrucaria maurer, Rhizocarpon laevatum and  Buellia chlorophaea  If you find others then let me know.

Mike Weideli

I think I have found another similar problem with Chironominae, it will not let me add any records in an import

Craig

Craig Slawson