1 (edited by chrisjohnson 24-09-2017 07:41:21)

Topic: Spartial Search Record Problem

I have been using the spatial search with a polygon to check on the number of records for an area.
This will retrieve records for me, but as soon as I try to sort the records the spatial filter is removed and I get a list of all the records on the database!
I then tried putting the Watsonian Vice-county filter for the Outer Hebrides on, and the record dates became scrambled starting at 01-01-1670 and ending with 01-01-9999.
Interesting!

Re: Spartial Search Record Problem

Hi Christine,
Thank you for reporting this. I will log it as an issue and try and get it resolved as soon as possible. I am sorry for the inconvenience,

Thanks again, Sophie

Hi Christine,
I checked the dates of records in the Outer Hebrides. 01-01-9999 is where the record has been supplied without a date. There are records from the Mollusc (non-marine) 1999 Atlas Dataset for Great Britain and Ireland where the date is given as a range from 01-01-1670 to 31-12-1950.

I don't think that the Watsonian Vice-county filter scrambled the dates but the problem is how the Atlas displays records where no dates were supplied and where yearly ranges are used. We realise that this is a problem and will resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks, Sophie

Hi Sophie,
I tried the search again using a location polygon for the Outer Hebrides and chose to look only at the British Lichen Society Data. This produced a list of 10,000+ records. If I sort the list according to record date, instead of 10,000+ records I get 500,000+ records i.e. the whole of the BLS dataset.
As my polygon covered the Outer Hebrides I can apply the vice-county filter, get the 10,000 list back again and I can now sort by record date.
If I draw a new polygon covering just one island and choose the BLS dataset again I get a list of 1187 records, but when I try to sort the list by record date, once again I get the entire BLS dataset!
OK I can resolve the issue by downloading the original list and sort the data in an Excel spreadsheet.

The problem appears to be more fundamental than an issue with dates.
The location search has the potential to be very useful tool, but with some refinement and fixing is required first.

Thanks

Christine

Thanks Christine,
This relates to the first part of your message, that on filtering or sorting the original search query is lost. I have logged it and we will try to fix it as soon as possible.

Best wishes, Sophie

Hi Christine,
The problem in the spatial portal, that on filtering or sorting the original search query is lost, has been resolved.

Best wishes, Sophie

Thank you

Christine