Topic: Taxa lost in dictionary update

The latest update to the lichen and fungi dictionaries seems to have resolved a lot of issues, and we are grateful to everyone who has put the effort in to do this.
Unfortunately it has given us a new problem as well. Until now the lichen dictionary has always included two bucket taxa, Lichen Unidentified and Lichenicolous Fungus Unidentified, which we used for records of new species that were not yet in the dictionary. After each update we could quickly go through the records for these and redetermine as many as possible to the taxa that had been added. Some stay in the bucket for a long time, pending description and publication of a new species. These two taxa seem to have disappeared from the dictionary now and I can't find any way to get at them or their records.
We seem to have two options:
a) restore the database using the backup taken before the dictionary update, and manually redetermine all the records for the bucket taxa to some other taxon that is in the new dictionary before reapplying the update.
or b) does anyone have a nifty bit of SQL that would find the hidden records are redetermine them automatically, using the updated dictionary so we don't have to roll back?
We will have to decide quickly as we are in the midst of a big data upload.
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Re: Taxa lost in dictionary update

As the upgrade didn't automatically redetermine any Taxon List item keys., they must still be there in some form, but may just not be accessible.  I will look at it today and let you know what the situation is.

Mike Weideli

They are there, but no longer valid within any list so will not appear. They should still  show in the Observation hierarchy. Not sure what you want to do with them. Attached is  an XML report which should   find them and allow you to go to the Records if that will help, or  I can do SQL to move them, but not sure how we can automatically identify where they should  go. The report  will appear under menu 'BLS'. It runs, but I haven't actually added any test data.

Post's attachments

BLS_Unidentified.xml 1.43 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-11-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

That's just what I needed. We seem to have been making more use of the bucket taxa than I realised, there are 1077 records to sort out so it will take a while!
Many thanks,
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society