1 (edited by Graham Hawker 31-10-2017 09:34:50)

Topic: Records download has missing data

We have a number of local recording groups on our sightings.tverc.org site.

One is for Bracknell Forest Veteran Trees. When the records are downloaded this includes a  variety of special attributes including girth. In 64 cases no data is downloaded. However all these records have a girth recorded which I can see in the record on the BRC warehouse. Girth is downloaded fine for the remaining 500 or so records. This information has downloaded fine previously.

Why would this be happening?

Graham Hawker
Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Re: Records download has missing data

Hi Graham,

That sounds hard to explain!
If I query the database directly I find 684 records with a girth attribute in your survey.
Of these 64 have an empty value... oh, that's is striking and surely not a coincidence.
Examples are occurrences 3078912, 2997642, 2956072
If I check these records on the warehouse, e.g. http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/index. … it/2956072, no girth is shown as I would expect but contrary to what you say.
(Although I just got a bit confused as someone is editing records even as I look at them!)

Would you like to quote me the occurrence_id of a record you think has no girth in the download but does have one in the database (You may need to do a new download to avoid the records just edited)?

Also, do you have an old download which shows evidence of a record which previously had a girth value but doesn't any longer? I would be quite concerned it you have.

Jim Bacon.

3 (edited by Graham Hawker 31-10-2017 11:50:36)

Hi Jim

Thanks for looking.

I've done another check and I can see now that the girths have gone missing from the BRC database as well as some Height of girth values. I decided the easy thing to do was to add them back in hence the editing.

However when this problem first occurred a couple of months ago there were only a few missing in the download and the girth information was still in BRC database. I have a feeling that might have just been a blip. I assumed that the same thing was happening now it's increased to 64 but it looks like something has gone wrong in the database.

Graham Hawker
Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Hi Graham,

If there has been some loss or corruption of information in the database that needs investigation. Please can you email me all the evidence you have for this such as old downloads which contain the girth values that are now missing. Thanks very much.

Jim Bacon.