Re: bird recordings with combinations of sex, stage, behaviour...

Dear all
Some of our bird recorders in Luxembourg would like to use Recorder and they have shown me their recording cards (paper). Most things are straightforward but they have rather complicated  combinations of descriptors for the birds they observe.

From what i see these are basically things like sex, stage, behaviour, feather'dress' (i don't know the english but in german they say 'Kleid').
So far i don't see a very elegant solution in Recorder...apart form creating 'virtual' measurement types.

Has anyone developed a data entry mask for bird recorders?

If not, are there measurement type lists for birds in the UK, which we could use as a starting point?

Thanks in advance for any help on this
Tania

Re: bird recordings with combinations of sex, stage, behaviour...

Hi Tania

I suspect that the English word for the German 'Kleid' would be 'plumage'.

I have created some measurement types for recording birds - trouble is I can't remember which ones. If you do add any qualifiers in:

Tools, Term lists, Measurement type, Abundance, Measurement qualifier

the short name must be one word, eg 'firstsummer' if you wish to use an import spreadsheet.

I am a bird recorder in north-east Wales and use an Excel sheet to import records. Will you be doing the same? If you would like a copy of the import sheet, please email me off-list and I will send a copy to you.

All the best, Ian