Topic: Long log-in times

Some users of SEWBReCORD (well, at least one vocal user) experience quite long log-in times. They claim it can take a couple of minutes on some occasions, in spite of being on super-fast broadband. I personally do not notice such extremes but confess that it can be a little sluggish at times in the office (which isn't on super-fast broadband).

Is there anyway of working out whether the performance issue (which only affects the logging in process) is on the web server, in drupal, in the BRC data warehouse, or (heaven forbid) with his internet service provider?

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Long log-in times

Hi Dave,

When I use iRecord and it is slow to log in, it is my prejudice to blame the warehouse. It is easy to eliminate the warehouse from the equation though if you log in via a page that has no content from the warehouse.

Rather than logging in via the home page, https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/home, I can use https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/user/. See if that helps.

Jim Bacon

Thanks Jim, I'll suggest that to our user and see if it solves his problem. If not then I guess it's at our end!

Dave Slade

Yes that has worked for him. I have now realised what the problem with the home page is - it is accessing all the records in order to display the most recent ones. How can I limit it to just looking for the last month in the same way that we do for the explore all records report? Is there somewhere in the panel that I can put a '@filter-date_age=1 month' or similar feature?

Dave Slade

Sorry for slow reply - I didn't get a notification from the forum.

To answer the question we need to know what report you are using to obtain records and then we can see what parameters are available for us to use to filter data. Are you able to find out?

Jim Bacon