Topic: Date banding maps

On the NBN Gateway grid maps there was a hugely useful function to display records in 3 date bands. I can't see how to do this using the NBN Atlas - is it possible?

The "map" only seems to let you colour by each year (but only on points, in a completely random order and then it runs out of colours) and I'm at a complete loss with "analyse" so not sure if I'm missing something (I thought I could use the animation as a poor mans date band just making sure to look real close but it appears to be broken, cycling between the same two decades).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Date banding maps

Date banded maps on the NBN gateway were extremely useful for showing range expansion/contraction at a national scale. Not sure how to do this effectively on the new atlas.

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

I have managed to do this previously on the Atlas by loading a species onto the Analyse map, selecting a date range for the displayed records and setting a dot colour, then repeating the excercise with the same species for another date range and dot colour etc etc.  However, looking at the maps just now to check the commands, I cannot see anyway to select a date range for record on a layer any more.  The Animation commands appear to not to do anything to the map.

Hi, you can add date ranges of records in the spatial portal (Analyse map), by following the steps below:

Go to analyse in the top navigation bar>Add to Map>Species and add the species you are interested in.

Under 'occurrence display' select 'points', and then, from the 'colour by' dropdown, choose 'date (by decade)'.

A table then comes up below with a list of decades. You can select the years you're interested in (using the checkbox to the left) and then select 'create layer with selection' below the table. This will create a layer (in the top contents panel) with only your selected year(/s) shown. You can rename this (in the bottom panel) and turn the original layer off in the top panel. If you want to select a second date/range of dates, ensure you are on the original layer before repeating the process again, and adding layers with your required date ranges.

I tried to take screenshots to accompany this explanation (as it's hard to get down in words!) but I can't seem to paste the screenshots in here. If anyone is struggling with the explanation above, I can create a pdf doc with the screenshots in and load it here to help out.

Hope that helps,
Ella

Thanks Ella. The table of decades doesn't contain decades for me (just < year) and when I try to enter a custom date range I get an error (assuming that's how I get the decades/year ranges I'm interested in - it's not clear):

The ALA Spatial Portal encountered a serious error. It is recommended to reload the portal but it may be possible to continue. We have recorded the error and will investigate a fix.

(and that all seems very counter intuitive and long winded if it does work - with the NBN Gateway map it took just three mouse clicks and typing in 6 years)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership