Topic: install recorder 6 on new laptop

Am I correct in thinking that I must use my original recorder 6 cd (6.25.1.384) purchased in 2010, to reinstall on a new laptop and then reapply all the updates? I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Re: install recorder 6 on new laptop

The 2010 cd will not install on Windows 10. Download the latest install version 6.26 from www.recorder6.info (resellers page) and install this. Make sure you install the SQL Server Management tools  when you install SQL Server.  Refer to www.Recorder6.info which has lots of information on the version of SQL Server and the installation instructions (Click on Windows 10 on the installation page).  Once you have R6 running on the laptop, then you can transfer the database from the old machine to the new machine. You can do this using a backup from the old machine, but will need to use Management Studio to restore this on the Windows 10 machine. Instructions for this are on the Download page on  www.Recorder6.info

I assume you are on  version 6.25.1  having upgraded regularly from the version you installed. In this case having transferred the database you will need to run just the one update to 6.26 to bring your transferred database in line with the software installed.

Mike Weideli

Mike, all went very smoothly. Thank you, your help is very much appreciated

I have just been through the same process as well and successfully restored from the backup, but R6 wouldn't then start. I tried running the usual SQL to create and login NBNUser but it didn't help. The error message is EOleException: Could not find stored procedure 'usp_Users_Select_Admin', and I've checked the database and there is no such procedure.

Perhaps I should have upgraded the old system from R6.25 to R6.26 first?

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

5 (edited by Janet Simkin 02-08-2017 21:26:11)

To add to that - I tried upgrading the old system to R6.26 with the intention of creating a new an up to date backup file, but now that system is giving the same error and won't start.

Update: However, rerunning the R6.26 update on the new system has now fixed the problem there, but not on the old one. All rather baffling, but panic over!

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society