Topic: Maps API outreach?

Hi. Is there any ongoing effort to help former users of the embedded maps functionality to update their websites with the latest NBN Atlas implementation? I'm thinking of sites like UKMoths and NatureSpot which massively popularised the NBN service, but which now remain largely broken in this regard. Not a good advert.

Re: Maps API outreach?

Naturespot look like they have easymaps working OK - were you thinking they should be encouraged to use a more sophisticated web service?

As a regular user of UKmoths (but without any insider knowledge) my speculation is that they'd want to limit the dataset to the national moth scheme to avoid quality issues, and there isn't any point in doing that now we don't have access controls, unless and until NMRS put the post 2000 dataset on to the Atlas at 10k or similar. So possibly a data issue as well as a tech one. (They do have a link to the easymaps maps but it only seems to appear for some species, so a bit broken as you say.)

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

The Naturespot example I viewed yesterday was not loading the point data so assumed it was legacy code. It does appear to be functioning today, just not as pretty as I recall the previous maps!

Will await the advent of access controls then...

4 (edited by TeresaF 05-07-2017 14:20:17)

My understanding is access controls are not possible within the Atlas infrastructure/incompatible with the software licence.

I agree there is something unpretty about the new easymaps, presumably the way it is rendered - this earlier discussion is relevant
https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6822

This is an example call from naturespot
https://easymap.nbnatlas.org/EasyMap?tv … ill=ff0000

Could be changed by adding &retina=2:
https://easymap.nbnatlas.org/EasyMap?tv … p;retina=2

Second looks a lot better to me - perhaps a good example of a tweak naturespot and others could make easily if they are told about it, as Duncan has already put the functionality in, albeit "untested".

The new easymaps on third party websites seem to take a lot longer to load than they did when they came from the Gateway? The dataset lists loads faster than the map, when presumably both need to select the data which seems a little odd to me. Hopefully something that can be addressed as they work on performance issues generally, perhaps there is some more caching that could be done or something.

-----------------

Yes, I doubt that the majority of these sites require truly 'live' data for distribution maps.

Hi,

Theresa is correct, there will not be any access controls available on any of the NBN Atlas platforms. There will be on-going work and improvements for easymaps and API's as the Atlas develops. If there are any glitches in the existing systems, please do let us know.

Ella

Thanks Ella. Could you add to the to do list testing whether changing "retina=2" to be the default in easy maps (so that NBN maps on websites using it look more polished without external web managers needing to change their html) would cause any problems - it seems to make a big difference to my eyes, and could be a quick win? (Increasing the speed the maps are produced would be hugely helpful in due course but I suspect a slower win!)

-----------------

Does BWARS have the same issue with access controls?

"With the launch of the NBN's Living Atlas and the closure of the NBN Gateway maps, currently it is not possible to display maps from NBN data"

I have memory of reading that BWARS are working behind the scenes on getting a new dataset together for the Atlas (didn't transfer old dataset due to open data licencing etc. meaning they need to make some changes) but I can't remember where I got that from, so could be incorrect.

Matt Smith who sometimes posts on here would know, as he is the BWARS data person.

-----------------

dgreves wrote:

Does BWARS have the same issue with access controls?

"With the launch of the NBN's Living Atlas and the closure of the NBN Gateway maps, currently it is not possible to display maps from NBN data"

BWARS did have problems with the maps that used to be displayed on our website when the old Gateway system of links was turned off overnight.  I think there was a fix suggested at the time but not implemented.

Because of the current NBN policy of "open access" and the lack of any dataset provider controlled access on the new Atlas, BWARS have removed their dataset from the NBN.  We are currently working up a dataset of 900k records which will be uploaded to the NBN.  However, this dataset will have all the grid references "downgraded" and records will only be provided with a "10k" OS grid reference, there will be no more detailed mapping available than this.  Once this is live, I belive the current plan will be to re-establish the map links to the website but only display BWARS data on these maps.

Ah, OK Matt, that's a shame. Are there any options for members of the public wishing to view BWARS records in map form at greater than 10km resolution?

dgreves wrote:

Ah, OK Matt, that's a shame. Are there any options for members of the public wishing to view BWARS records in map form at greater than 10km resolution?

Yes, it is a shame, as I make quite a lot of the drill down facilities myself at the moment.  It seems somewhat pointless to me for the NBN to provide an enhanced mapping system if data providers will not supply data that allows full use of the system because the NBN will not allow any restrictions on data access.  I don't think BWARS are the only data provider to think this way and to restrict or refuse data for the new Atlas.

There will be no way for anyone to view BWARS records below 10k resolution in any way.  I understand that if you wish to obtain data in greater detail you will have to apply to BWARS directly for access via a BWARS data access agreement, though the wording of this is still being finalised.

It strikes me that the real losers under this new regime are the general public, many of whom contribute the records in the first place. Commercial consultants will still have the time and resources to make data requests to individual recording bodies and interpret it accordingly. The average person will not. Do bees, wasps and ants reported via iRecord rely on BWARS data use agreements out of interest?

I agree that the general public will lose out in part, but I think that any problems along these lines are entirely the fault of the NBN.  The NBN will happily talk about "mobilising data" and "open access datasets", but I do wonder at what point individual recorders records suddenly morph into "data".  While the idea of  having all of their datasets as "open access" should be an ambition, but they really should remember that they are reliant on other parties to provide this data to them free of charge, (even though they are keen to ask us "how much would this cost us if you actually charged for your time as we like to give these sorts on numbers to our funding bodies") and actually listen and accommodate the wishes of some data providers to have some control over access to their data.  It is no good providing a wonderful Atlas system if there is nothing to map.  "If you build it, they will come" does not always work in practice. 

From the perspective of a "commercial consultant", I doubt very much indeed that BWARS will get any data requests at all from Ecological Consultancies and the like.   Usually the one and only record request that might include invertebrates is the standard " 1/ 2 km radius search" from the local records centre, and the actual interpretation done by consultancies with this data is minimal.

Records arriving on iRecord are covered by the standard iRecord T&Cs and the verified data is currently displayed on the NBN Atlas.  When these records (currently around 50k out of 900k) are added to the BWARS dataset they will be treated in the same way as the rest of the data when it comes to NBN mapping.  How the iRecord data is treated long term is up to the BRC as they host iRecord.

Ugh, what a mess. I understand the response from recording societies but I do wish there had been a little more dialogue with recorders themselves before deciding to withdraw data. Presumably BWARS could replicate the mapping function yourselves using your own data access controls until the mess is sorted? If iRecord had their own API it might make life a lot easier for smaller groups.

The NBN Atlas was developed in conjunction with the network as a successor to the NBN Gateway. One cause of the NBN Gateway regularly crashing (much to the frustration of its users) was because access controls were very complex to maintain and put a huge burden on the systems supporting them. In addition access controls are expensive to develop. This, in conjunction with support for open data, and a general consensus from the Network during the extensive consultation period for the NBN Atlas, lead to the Network-wide agreement to not support access controls on the new NBN Atlas.

Many of the recorders who supply records to recording schemes and then subsequently onto the NBN Atlas have supplied data and welcomed non-sensitive species records being displayed at full resolution. Sensitive species records will be blurred so that their precise location cannot be accessed by the public through the NBN Atlas, in order to protect these species. We are working with data partners to assist with the transition towards more open data.

Data providers can remain in control of their records by uploading data under licences which have varying criteria for use. One of these is the CC-BY-NC licence which states that the data cannot be used for commercial purposes. Data provided under that licence would, therefore, be available to the public to use. While the NBN Trust cannot police the use of these licences, we are willing to support NBN members to take action if they feel the conditions of the non-commercial licences have been breached.

Yes, I appreciate the whole Open Data philosophy but there are clearly hard realities it fails to accommodate.

With respect the technical performance hurdles have not yet been cleared in the new Atlas. It will doubtless improve.

I don't pretend to understand how selecting fewer data points would lead to decreased server performance.

18 (edited by Matt Smith 25-07-2017 21:46:59)

We might be able to replicate the Atlas mapping functions were BWARS a large organisation with the appropriate computer hardware, mapping software, support personnel and budget to be able to be able to provide a "drill down" type distribution map system.  However, BWARS is a completely volunteer run Recording Society with around 250 subscribing members.  The maps on our website were generated from the NBN Gateway and linked across.  10k dots on the new NBN Atlas is as good as it's going to get.