Topic: Download logs

Hi - bit of advice please? I'm just looking at the usage statistics for the main BTO dataset at
https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/sh … atlas.org#

I can see c5M records have been downloaded. I can get a very basic breakdown of the reasons for this. However, I can't immediately see how (or if?) I can see who has downloaded the data. How do I do this? I'm wondering if it's because my logged in user details aren't currently linked to the dataset, so it doesn't know to give me permission? Is that it?

Thanks

Re: Download logs

Hi NBN staff - just a nudge before this disappears too far down the page, any advice on this please? Sorry if being dense.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

Currently the reports you can see / download are what are available.

We will be developing the reporting we can get from the NBN Atlas generally which could include improvements to reports for data providers. If you can let us know the type of information you would like to see then we can take this into account in report designing. This would be subject to data protection legislation.

thanks

Giselle

Thanks Giselle. I'm a bit surprised, and may be guilty of not having understood in advance. But I note that on our main BTO dataset, almost a million records have already been downloaded for the stated reason of "environmental assessment". For a dataset that is licensed as CC-BY-NC, this is clearly somewhat questionable.

As I understand it, people can't download records without being logged in. Are you telling me that dataset owners are not allowed to know who it is that is downloading their records? Isn't that a standard function that was in the Australian and Scottish atlases? I realise I could check, but it seems extraordinary if not.

Thanks for any further clarification.....?

Those of us who share data under a non-commercial license creative commons license (that's 44% of the datasets on the Atlas I think) may find a more detailed log or notifications (akin to what was available on the NBN gateway) very useful for 'policing' use (or abuse) of data. Using the old gateway I was able to see (or receive notification of) who had downloaded data, what datasets had been downloaded and for what stated purpose. On some occasions I was able to remind users who were clearly abusing the NBN terms and conditions that the data was made available for non-commercial use only. For those of us who still have to make ends meet by balancing income from public and private sector sources, such information is extremely useful and encourages users not to abuse the terms under which the data are shared.

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Another thought. We've been assured that the first phase of Atlas development was to replicate the existing functionality of the Gateway. The download logs from the Gateway do indeed provide name and email address of the person downloading the data. Hence I think it's reasonable to assume that the Atlas should be doing so too?

In terms of data protection, I wouldn't necessarily be advocating that the details of the downloader should be visible to the public, but they surely should be accessible to the dataset provider? If necessary, inform the person when they do the download.

I apologise if I should have been asking this earlier. I'd kind of assumed it went without saying....?

Thanks

7 (edited by andymus 24-04-2017 15:44:51)

Hi again. I've been away for a week and thought there might be a little more feedback on this? Is it just me (and Mark at DGERC) that thinks this is an issue? Any response to the point that this is a piece of Gateway functionality that seems to have been removed?

Perhaps something better to bring up more directly rather than in the forum? (But it seems a useful issue to get wider views on).

Best wishes

Andy

Hi Andy and Mark
I agree that having information about who is using our datasets is useful. Analysis of our Gateways stats was always more informative if we the e-mail address of the user (often gives a clue to the institution/group/company) as the use reason was so vague e.g. students using data for projects often put down "personal reasons" rather than education.  This was important as it helped us justify our existence to our funders.
The CC-BY-NC license depends on trust and although a small group has no weight in policing the system, larger organisations could be more effective in reminding the abusers that they have responsibilities when it comes to using the records on NBN covered by the NC terms.

Christine

Hi Andy

Apologies that there hasn't been any update to your concerns.  These have been logged and a request has been made to add the further download detail to the logs and we are working our way through all of this so please do bear with us.  We will update you when we have more information on this.

Kind Regards

Sarah

Thanks Christine and Sarah. I've sent a quick query off to Jo directly also. Looking forward to response - and I do appreciate you're busy!

Best wishes

Is there any progress with this? I'm still only able to download simple usage stats, nothing about who is downloading and the purpose to which the data is being put.

Hi Darwyn - I've had information provided directly, but the functionality is not yet built into the system to use automatically as far as I'm aware.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Darwyn and Andy,

Andy, you are correct, that the functionality to provide download logs is not yet available.

We will update everyone as soon as it is.

Kind regards,
Mandy

Just a little reminder on this topic in order to flag it as an important issue. The only figures I can get at the moment are the numbers of some substantial downloads of our Dipterists Forum Field Week records - unhelpfully described as "other". It would be so very useful to be able to inform our record contributors as to the purpose of these downloads in order to encourage future submissions. Feedback is very important to ensure continued support of the system.

Hi Darwyn,
This has not been forgotten. We have it on our list of work, I appreciate that the information is important to you. I will let you know when it is available online.

Thanks, Sophie