Topic: Location - Search by Pre-defined Area

I'm looking at species recorded in SSSIs so the search by pre-defined area is really useful.

Unfortunately the "click on map to select area" is not working. However, if you know the name of the SSI (SAC, SPA or whatever) you can select the area and the records appear.

This is a great resource but it would be even better if Plants were subdivided so that records of bryophytes or algae could be selected - in the same way that the Insects & Spiders group is subdivided. Trolling through a couple of thousand plant species looking for mosses is tedious.

Finally to be really pedantic the navigation on the top of the panel needs up-dating - it currently reads: Home - Explore - Regions. Explore is a broken link.

Christine

Re: Location - Search by Pre-defined Area

Christine

Thanks for the comments. I have raised feedback on
- plants subdivision
- broken link

With regard to 'click on map to select area' this appears to work for me when I double click twice on the OS square / map region. So raised that as well as as bug.

Giselle

Hi Giselle,
National parks and Grid Squares are now working, but SSSI option has disappeared from the list.

Christine

Christine

Re 'click map' query -
I can confirm that
A single click allows users to view the name of the selected region, a double click goes straight through.

I have noted the comment about SSSI list.

Giselle

Christine

The SSI layers are available on NBN Atlas Scotland.
https://scotland-regions.nbnatlas.org/# … nservation

There is still work to do regarding adding layers to the NBN Atlas.

Giselle

Thank you Giselle.
I flip between the Atlas and Atlas Scotland so I have probably added to the confusion.

Christine

I thought the idea of the 'country' Atlases was that they pulled data from the main Atlas - is this not the case?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi Charlie,

It seems that the Scottish Atlas pulls records for Scotland from all UK datasets, but if I want to see the UK distribution as a whole I have to use the main Atlas.

I'm really not sure why we have the regional versions, at present it does not seem to run any quicker than the main Atlas and as there are filters and polygon selectors it is easy to select a region to refine the results. Also if I'm searching for a species and there are no records for Scotland, I then have to go back to the main Atlas and search again.

So in terms of a user I'm not convinced but there may be technical reasons as to why we have the split. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Christine

Hi

Will it be possible to add back in boundaries that were previously available in spatial datasets supplied to the gateway. For me National Trust boundaries were those that I used most frequently, but SSSIs and other designations would be good to have back as well.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Hi All

Unfortunately we were unable to transfer the spatial layers from the Gateway so we have been sourcing them afresh.  We have been in contact with layer suppliers and have been receiving files for upload, but unfortunately we don't appear to have contacted the National Trust - Gordon could you email data@nbnatlas.org with contact details so that we can discuss supply of a boundary file?

The SSSI boundaries are available through the spatial portal (access via the Analyse tab on the home page) but are not yet available via the Explore by pre-defined area route. We still need to develop this part of the interface.

With regards to the country Atlases although the Scottish Atlas was developed first (as a result of the pilot project), the other country Atlases are still being developed and are at different stages.  We are interested to hear people's comments about the idea of country portals and to receive suggestions as to how to improve the interfaces and their functionalities so thank you Christine for your comments - they have been noted.

Christine
Christine Johnston
Scottish Liaison Officer