Topic: Querying records by location

Hi

Asking at the NFBR conference about querying records on the Atlas from a boundary e.g. a SSSI, I was told it was possible. However I can't work out how to do it. My assumption was that it would be under LOCATIONS > EXPLORE BY PREDEFINED AREA, but I only have options of National Park, OS 100km square and LERC boundaries. Am I missing something?

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Re: Querying records by location

Have you tried starting from spatial.nbnatlas.org? (I can't remember how you get to it from the main atlas so you might not know it exists!)
SSSIs are in the Add to map - Layers section.
You should also be able to import your own boundary, but I haven't experimented much so don't know how much is and isn't working...

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Thanks Teresa,

looks like you can get at it from Analyse from the top strip, although it's not as easy to get back. Just need to wait for the boundaries I need to be added then (looks like I could add for myself but would be more useful if added for everyone and I could run a query against the object ID)

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

There's another thread about boundaries I think - the Scottish Atlas has them all (well, the Scottish ones), but The Atlas only has a few at the moment.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Atlas Scotland has Scottish SSSIs under Location tab. Clicking on the map doesn't work, but if you know the name of the SSSI you can access the records. A really useful tool.

Christine