Topic: Dataset Information

The Atlas provides an abundance of information of the number of records and taxonomic distribution in a dataset, but it does not indicate the number of species.
Am I missing something? Can this information be retrieved elsewhere?
I can find a list of species in a defined area but it does not show the source via dataset.

I am sure that you can probably do this using API, but this is probably beyond my technical skills unless anyone can provide an example.

This information was available on the Gateway and was useful.

Thanks

Christine

Re: Dataset Information

Something like this?

https://records-ws.nbnatlas.org/occurrences/search?q=*:*&fq=data_resource_uid:dr528&pageSize=0&facets=common_name&flimit=-1

Thank you I'll give it a try.

Christine

Just adding a "me too" to this. Dataset statistics were really useful, particularly number of species as Chris says, but also what I used to use on the Gateway a lot was the bar chart of records per year - really helpful for visualising how the dataset was constructed/how long a time span records had been collected over. I'd really like to see them back obviously on the datasets' pages - much more interesting to enquiring minds that the usage statistics (which are primarily useful, with more detail, to the data provider themselves).

Ideally I'd like to see the DIGITISED RECORDS section before usage statistics. So the page would be:

Name
Provider
Description
Rights
<SPECIES> - just like DIGITISED RECORDS but statistics based on number of taxa rather than number of records, with drill down and chart.
<TIMESPAN> - bar chart of records per year, perhaps even drill-downable to per month (could start at decade level - Gateway was quite good at coping with records from hundreds of years ago from what I remember).
DIGITISED RECORDS
Usage

I am talking about the pages like this: https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr721

Teresa

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Just remembered another thing that someone else brought up on twitter as something it would be excellent to have back in due course, the chloropleth maps of number of records per hectad for a dataset (& indeed a taxa).

Sure this is on a list somewhere already, but mentioning just in case.

-----------------

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for your suggestions. It is currently possible to view a dataset's configuration per year, but it is displayed in a pie chart, not a bar chart as you were used to seeing on the NBN Gateway. For example, go to 'view records' from the dataset metadata page, and chose the 'chart view' tab at the top of the page. This gives various pie charts, with 'by year' being one of them (e.g. https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … artsView).

As for the density mapping- this is definitely possible. I remember seeing a draft version of this functionality, but I think it's not live at the moment due to work being required on it. We'll make sure to mention it in our update publications when it is available.

Ella

Ah thanks Ella. Mostly another opaque navigation issue then, I hadn't found those pages.  By Year definitely makes more sense as a bar chart than a pie chart though!

When I just tried a Cumbrian dataset, doesn't look like it is working correctly - in the charts it claims everything is bryophytes or otherwise fungi, but I think most of the records should be vascular plants (I half wonder if it is looking at the wrong dataset and it is another indexing issue?). But I have looked at another couple of datasets which do seem ok, so it is not a universal issue.
https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … chartsView

It's not clear if the charts are by number of records per order or number of species per order - could this be made explicit (and the other option added) sometime please?

Great to hear the density mapping will be along at some point. :)

-----------------