Topic: Isle of Man - the unknown country

I know the Isle of Man is special but I wouldn't have called it unknown. However the 595k records I find there from a polygon search on the Atlas all come back with the country field set to Unknown. Actually, the results are similar for the Republic of Ireland. What is the geographical scope of the Atlas? Are they within or without it?

Jim Bacon

Re: Isle of Man - the unknown country

Thank you for your feedback.
This issue has been raised.

Giselle

As I understand it, the "nation" referred to in "National Biodiversity Network" is the UK. In which case it doesn't, technically, include the Isle of Man or the RoI. Having said that, records from the IoM have been on the NBN for several years, and recording societies in the UK frequently go by Vice-counties (the IoM is VC71) rather than current administrative areas. Clearly this is more suitable for biological recording by geographic area as it doesn't miss out bits of the British Isles. Comparing species distributions over the south and west of the British Isles is impossible without their inclusion, so it's not as irrelevant to Gloucestershire as it first seems!

As ex-BSBI VC recorder for the Isle of Man I would hope that country names would at least be included in reports from the Atlas, and that all the British Isles would be included as the NBN has always functioned as more than just the GBIF node for the UK alone. If Ireland and the crown dependencies are to be "invisible" on the NBN then without an alternative node their presence on the global records site would disappear.

Linda

Since the NBN extended cover to the Channel Isles a few years back, I have taken the range as the "British Isles".

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

I'd raised a separate question about the Channel Islands but it doesn't seem to have been picked up yet.
https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php … 803#p26803

Jim Bacon.

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts on this matter, we will respond to this in the next few days.

Sarah

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It has been added to our list of bugs, we are currently working on other, higher priority, issues and we will fix this in due course.

Best wishes

Jo