Topic: Record Photo Vanishing

When I first started using Indicia I noticed that the image column would not contain anything even if there was an image. I made a mental note as I could still see the image on editing.

Now I have people putting in data the problem is significant.

So users see the same as I noted above that the image column is empty but on editing the record it appears where entered on the original form.

The verifier does not see the image with the media tab being empty nor is it seen in the warehouse entry for the record.

I expect there is something in my Drupal not sending the image on or the warehouse is not accepting it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Re: Record Photo Vanishing

Hi Tony

I can look at the warehouse to see if I can see anything amiss at our end. Could you give me the ID of a recent record exhibiting the problem?

Jim Bacon.

Thanks Jim

Data Manger

Hi Tony

Looking at the warehouse website interface I can see a record of Tachina grossa submitted to your RoAM survey on 21/04/2017 at 11:59:02 which has no associated image. You will have seen all that yourself I think.

I can now look in to the warehouse log, which is only configured to record errors, and see no hint of a problem.

Looking in to the web server log for POSTs at that time I see the following paired entry

2017-04-21 10:59:02 POST /index.php/services/data/save - 80 - 195.20.225.31 - 200 0 0 670
2017-04-21 10:59:07 POST /index.php/services/data/handle_media - 80 - 195.20.225.31 - 200 0 0 4586

This tells me at the correct time (log is in GMT) we received two posts from the same source calling the record save and the photo save services. As of this moment, somerc.co.uk is on 195.20.254.31 which is not the same but that might be a feature of your hosting arrangement.

Looking in the folder of uploaded photos I found the following with an appropriate creation time. Would you know if this is the uploaded photo? http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/upload … 56svka.jpg

Jim Bacon.

5 (edited by TonyP 25-04-2017 08:46:35)

Yes Jim that is indeed the photo.

Just wondering if the ip difference might explain some of the other problems I've been having such as records being entered but noting arriving in the database. The workaround works for most but one site still has the problem.

Data Manger

Hi Tony

I'm registering with your somerc.co.uk to see if I can recreate the problem.
If I can, I will turn on extra logging at our end to see if that gives us any more clues.
I recall you upgraded your copy of the client_helpers library recently so it seems unlikely the problem will be there. Did you upgrade the media library and the iform module at the same time?

Jim Bacon.

Thanks You might have to try the RoAM entry as that's where it has definitely happened.

Data Manger

Okay, I can see what the problem is.
Returning to your example record, we could see no photos attached to the occurrence, http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/index. … it/4817384
However, check the sample that the occurrence belongs to and there it is, http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/index. … it/2362809

I would bet your form structure contains a [sample photo] control where a [photos] control would be the norm.

To explain, a sample is about the person, place and time associated with any number of occurrences. You might take a sample photo to illustrate the site conditions

Each occurrence  is a record of a species. Occurrence photos are what the system presumes will support the identification of a species.

If you change the [sample photo] to a [photos] control, future records and photos should appear as expected. However, this will not connect the existing photos to the occurrence and, moreover, when you go to edit old records, the photos will no longer appear. They are still there but still attached to the sample. I'm hoping this is no great loss if you are still in the testing stage.

Jim Bacon.

Thanks Jim that would have been tricky to spot for me. Of course I am somewhat stuck as to how I can use [photo] when I get this error;

The form structure includes a control called [photo] which is not recognised.

I can see that it is considered what shall I call it; a default generic item and therefore lies outside of custom attribution. My All records report does use [photo] (why I couldn't see it) and gives no error. This my be why I used [sample photo] I guess.

What therefore might be the prerequisite I need to make this work. Any thoughts?

Data Manger

Easy! Check your spelling :-)
Its [photos] with an 's' on the end.

Jim Bacon.

11 (edited by TonyP 03-05-2017 08:46:04)

Jim Bacon wrote:

Easy! Check your spelling :-)
Its [photos] with an 's' on the end.

Jim Bacon.

Sticks head in toilet and flushes.

Clearly I had stopped thinking or looking. Mea culpa.

Data Manger