Topic: Filter categories

Not sure how this works but I'd really like to see a filter system that picked up on all Diptera datasets when the word "Diptera" was typed into a search box - it seems that that only picks up on the word "Diptera" if it's in the title of a dataset.
On the Data and Partners page the options to narrow the field of search by selecting "Insects" is handy but it doesn't catch all insects, Anthomyiidae for one.

P.S. you've the word "from" missing from one of the straplines on the Atlas opening slideshow

Re: Filter categories

Hi Darwyn

The capacity to filter will depend on what fields exist in the database. There isn't a handy one called "taxonomic orders in this dataset" although there is a field called taxonomyCoverageHints but I don't see this being used.

Your search could work if it looked inside all occurrences in every dataset for diptera. Suddenly, instead of searching a few hundred dataset records though, you are searching hundreds of millions of occurrences.

Amazingly the Atlas can handle this quite easily and you can do it now through the web services.

https://records-ws.nbnatlas.org/occurrences/search?q=order:Diptera&facets=data_resource

This will find all occurrences of order diptera and then group by dataset. Of course many of them are from local record centres which may or may not be what you want. (Note by default just the first 30 facets are returned although you can ask for more.)

Your best option might be to encourage your peers to rename their datasets in a more structured and consistent manner to assist in finding them!

Jim Bacon.

Hi,

Jim, thanks for offering some guidance here.

Darwyn, I have to admit that I'm not sure how the system knows how to categorise the data partners in this way, but it's good to know that it's not complete. I will look into this and will come back when we've worked out a way forward.

I've looked through the slideshows on all 3 Atlases, and can't find any missing words from the text. Can you let me know exactly where this is and I'll edit it.

Cheers,
Ella

Hi Darwyn, Hi Ella,

I just found a way to achieve what I was suggesting through the website as follows.
1. Go to the Species page and search for 'Diptera'
2. Not exactly necessary as there are only 3 results but click Order in the Refine Results box at left.
3. Click on the link to the order: Diptera page, https://species.nbnatlas.org/species/NHMSYS0000841073
4. Click on the Datasets tab.

Sorry I didn't come at it this way round first but I have been working with the web services and haven't explored the website so much.

Jim Bacon