1 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 04-04-2017 08:11:35)

Topic: The administrative burden

I have no access to any administrative controls on the datasets I manage on the Atlas, cannot even get a list of the datasets I administer/uploaded.
Yet my personal email is on the site with a note saying that if anyone wants to know anything more they should contact me. I got my first such request on 1st April and had to go hunting through my Recorder 6 records to fulfil that request.
This seems to be an unreasonably high burden to place upon an individual.

Where's the indicator that a dataset is closed (i.e. no permission to add new records), alerts are all very well but no-one's going to travel back in time to join our 1999 field week and add their records.
Though anything is possible with the X Flies - the truth is out there.

Re: The administrative burden

Individual datasets within an organisation require different contacts to be listed.
Compare Dorset Environmental Records Centre with Dipterists Forum., each of whom have several datasets listed.
In the former case I suppose it's reasonable to assume a single contact point for each dataset since that organisation has access (presumably) to the master copies of all the listed datasets.
For the latter this is not the case, master datasets are held and managed by different people. Most of them are myself but the list of datasets include one (maybe more later) whose masters are managed by different persons.
The Sepsidae Recording Scheme is managed by Steve Crellin and his name and contact details should be against that dataset, he uploaded it and he has access to the masters, not I.
We really need to know if it is possible for the contact details against individual datasets within an organisation to be made different to the contact details of the organisation as a whole.
This affects our plans for the ways in which we manage how we upload datasets.

Re: The administrative burden

Hi Darwin,

We can easily change the contact details for each dataset. If you can email me (e.vogel@nbn.org.uk) with details of who is responsible for each dataset, I can change these over.

I'll need to know the main contact for the Dipterists forum, who's email address will appear on this page https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dp172

And then each dataset has its own page, where the contact email address can be different, e.g. https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr1158

Regards,
Ella