Topic: Update Location using Location name

I am revisiting this after a while so bear with me.

I increasingly have the need to report on defined Locations (LWS) in large quantities

I understand that Locations within R6 should be able to help me do this but we have never really used that part of the db for various reasons.

I would like to retrospectively update records with Locations using either the Location name (which is usually recognisable as the Location in some form or another, preferred) or GIS boundary (time consuming, not preferred!).

Charlie kindly suggested some SQL to help with this last time i asked (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6218), but i was unable to get it to work against our db and don't have the experience to adapt it.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Update Location using Location name

Looks like you want  to take the Location Names on the samples and generate Locations in the Location hierarchy for these, then apply them to the samples. ?   If so the first step is to get a list of the Location Names and their grid refs. From this you would work out what Locations you require and the site centroid spatial ref you wish to use. The result can then be applied with a Batch Update.

I attach a report which will will list the Location names and Spatial Refs. Export this as Excel. Add two additional columns, one for the name of the Location you want to create and the other for the grid ref for the site centroid.  Don't change the first two columns or delete from them. If there are Location names you don't want to use then either allocate them to something else or leave blank. You can use Excel to sort the spreadsheet.   

Once you happy with this let me know and I will do a Batch Update to generate the Locations and apply them to Sample.

Post's attachments

ExtractLocationData.xml 475 b, 1 downloads since 2017-02-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli