Topic: Reassign custody to old custodian key

I've been contacted by an organisation that used to have a copy of Recorder6 with an old custodian key.  They had previously exported their data to their local LERC for use and safekeeping.  They now have a new copy of Recorder6 with a new custodian key (I think their use of Recorder6 had lapsed in the meantime and the old database was lost, and with it their key).  The LERC has exported their data back to them but, because they have a new custodian key, they are unable to edit their own data.

If they use the database tool 'Reassign Database to new Custodian' entering their old custodian key as the 'current site ID' and their new custodian key as the 'Site ID of the new owner' will this work?  In other words will this update all the records in the database from their old custodian key to their new custodian key?

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

2 (edited by charliebarnes 01-02-2017 11:05:29)

Re: Reassign custody to old custodian key

I would get in touch with the re-seller* who supplied their old site ID - they should be able to provide the code necessary to reinstall using that. Then import from the LRC.

I.e. ignore the new Site ID.

* or possibly any re-seller (I think the key is based on the Site ID)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

I  think you can only reasssign the Custodian if you are the Custodian of the Record. In this case they are not.

The attached Batch Update will change Custodian from one specified one to the current one.

It is bit old and I haven't used it for a while, so take a backup and check the result carefully before doing anymore input. I think it does all the required table.

This Batch Update was specifically designed for situation where a site id is redundant and will never be used again. This seems to fit the current situation.

Post's attachments

LCChangeCustodian.xml 11.94 kb, 9 downloads since 2017-02-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks very much for the batch update Mike ... that sounds exactly what they need.

Thanks for the suggestion too Charlie.  I think in this case the batch update will do as the user will probably find it much easier to run the batch update rather than uninstall and reinstall.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk