Topic: Problem entering records for certain spp

Here is the scenario:

1) Entering a record via the enter single record form
2) go to add Dactylorhiza praetermissa
3) entry from "Recommended" list has no entry
4) Entry from "Preferred" list is suffixed '(can not expand)'
5) attempting to add the entry from preferred gives the error:
     "The taxon selected is from a species list that is inappropriate for data entry purposes. Please choose a taxonomic
      checklist to select the taxon from" (BTW the list it was going to use was the "_VASCULAR PLANTS...")
6) the "Unrestricted" list has no entry, only the hybrids, even though by hand I can find D.praetermissa on the Recorder 3.3 list

It appears to be impossible to add a record for D.praetermissa, searching on common name is equally problematic

I did manage to create the record by crating a record for D.occidentalis (adj sp in the list), then editing the completed record and changing the determination to D.praetermissa by dragging it off the VASCULAR PLANT checklist!

Recorder v 6.26.1.285
Database 000000AW
Dictionary 0000003N
post Win10 anniversary update
All indexes rebuilt prior to the search

Although I have given the current settings for our Recorder, I have no idea how long this problem has been present, because it only occurs with D.praetermissa in the Dactylorhiza group, I don't know how many other taxa are affected.

I've done a search on "*can not expand" and it runs to c180 entries, most of which appear to be higher taxa (subfam, gen, etc.), but this search is not reliable since D.praetermissa is not included!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Problem entering records for certain spp

Further investigations of the search are producing unexpected results

Search for "*Spp] (can not expand)" -

Unrestricted - 1 entry returned (same with 'Preferred Taxa' and 'Recommended')
Preferred checklist- 15 entries returned
Current checklist - 11 entries (with Recorder 3.3 as current list)

preferred is a sub-set of unrestricted so cannot return more entries!

Craig

PS Dactylorhiza praetermissa isn't in either list!

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

There must be some anomaly in the dictionary which is causing the 'Allow data entry' flag on this species to be set as false 

Exactly what is causing this is under investigation, but I don't think it is a widespread problem .

Hopefully, I will be able to work out exactly what is happening later today, but for an immediate fix you can change the Allow_Data_Entry flag on the Index_Taxon_Name table.

Query for this is

'Update Index_Taxon_Name set Allow_Data_Entry = 1 '

Mike Weideli

This looks like the result of something in a dictionary upgrade in 2012 where the Redundant flag was set to 'Y' on about 700 taxa  because there was a space rather than null in the Redundant flag field.

In order to fix this I will need to do a new Dictionary upgrade. I will aim to have this available within a week. Prior to 6.26 the flag only affected 'Can Not Expand' so the issue wasn't noticed. The flag now determines whether or not a taxa can be used for data input which has caused the problem

Mike Weideli

Encountered the same problem with entry of a record for Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphula - there is an entry in the organism table flagged as redundant that seems link to this species so assume this is part of the same issue.

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

This is going to be more complicated to fix than I first thought.  The problem is with code which makes a parent redundant if all their children are redundant.  This is logical  for levels above species, but not for species.  A fix requires changes to R6 and akso a Dictionary upgrade. 

My suggestion is to use the update query as a temporary measure while this is sorted out.

'Update Index_Taxon_Name set Allow_Data_Entry = 1 '

I can provide this as a batch update for those with no access to  Management Studio

Mike Weideli