Re: Data transfer from Rec2002 to Rec6

I have recently installed R6 on a trial basis whilst continuing to use R2002 as my main database. I have carried out a trial data transfer from R2002 to R6. A very large number of errors resulted and were reported in the Error Reports file. On investigation by my technical helper (supplier) it emerged that in the 20000 or so Taxon Occurrences that did not transfer, the Determiner key was missing from the Name and Individual tables. The names of the individuals concerned were traced back by roundabout means and it was noticed that all the names concerned had been the result of merges of data items in R2002 long before R6 was installed.

I should like to hear from anyone who has transferred data from R2002 to R6 and experienced errors which they feel may have been due ultimately to merging of data items in R2002.

Does anyone have any views on this??

Also, when data items A nd B are merged, either A or B is deleted. Does it matter which way round the data merge is carried out? I would have thought not. Is there a bug lurking in R2002?

Bob Marsh.....

Re: Data transfer from Rec2002 to Rec6

If A is the one in the left hand box of the merge window and B is the one on the right then A will be deleted. Most of the merging I did in R2002 was to do with locations so this may not translate exactly, but, as far as I remember, where a field had only one value (e.g. grid reference) that of B would be retained, while for a list field (e.g.location name) the values for A would be added to the list for B.

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust