Topic: More on that New bird dataset on ALS

I was just having a look at the BTOs new dataset on ALS and on the dataset page I can see that it has a whopping 13,064,724 records. I think Wow! that's amazing so I click on that number to look at them on the map. But then I see: 1,150,540 results for Data resource: Birdtrack.

I assume that's because it's restricting to Scotland.

If I was a user in Scotland I would probably have ALS as my default - how would I know/be able to access the full dataset? To the uninitiated it looks like there is bug in the system that's losing 11,914,184 records.

A better option, from my point of view (and I think Murdo highlighted this in a different form) is to not restrict to Scotland but to have the filters pre-set so that Scotland is 'ticked' but Wales/England aren't. I.e. have a country filter in the filters section.

(or is this all an artifact of not having the overarching atlas to supply the data..?)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: More on that New bird dataset on ALS

Thanks Charlie. There's actually c150,000,000 records in the dataset we provided, but only the last couple of years have been loaded, for performance reasons.  I'll let NBN comment on the technical side of your request though.

Re: More on that New bird dataset on ALS

Double Wow! ;-)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership