Topic: NBN Atlas Scotland Progress Update

The NBN Secretariat has received 254 actions from feedback gathered over the last six months.  Thank you to everyone who has been testing the Atlas for us and highlighting bugs and areas of improvement.  These actions have all been recorded and prioritised by the project team and the developer has now been given 53 priority actions to focus on, with the top 20 issues being a matter of urgency.  The NBN Atlas Scotland will soon offer the same functionality as the NBN Gateway, as well as additional tools not currently available through the NBN Gateway.

Alongside these actions, the developers will be creating the infrastructure for the NBN Atlas with the aim of; a soft launch at the end of January 2017, followed by a period of user testing before the site becomes live by the end of March 2017.

The attached highlight report outlines the development activities over the past month.  Subsequent reports will be circulated on a regular basis to keep you up to date as this project develops.

Post's attachments

NBNAtlasScotlandHighlightReport_Oct2016.docx 25.79 kb, 9 downloads since 2016-10-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: NBN Atlas Scotland Progress Update

Thanks for this update, Rachel.  I thought I would take a look at ALS to see what these changes look like on the site.

One of your entries in the 'completed this month' section states: 'Interactive Map OS Grid is now the default view when taken to interactive map from a species page'.

I called the grid map for Golden Eagle, and went to the IMT. The grid map shows 7 dots. The IMT shows none.

Also, the pointer position still shows lat/long.

I notice that another change listed has been implemented on the site, so I assume that all have been.  If that assumption is wrong, please let us know.  If it is correct, you still have a lot to do with the IMT.

Murdo

I noticed another implemented enhancement to ALS was ‘Can now search for 10km and 1km Grid References using the search box’.

Sure enough, you can do that, and you get a distinctly skewed outline of the required hectad (a lot more work to do building OSGR into that display).

Then if you explore the taxon groups you are presented with some intriguing options I had no idea lived in my area.  Shadlfies [sic], Weta, Lubber, Dobsonflies, Dragonfishes and other groups that might be familiar to (and relevant to) naturalists in Perth WA, but not to those of us who live rather nearer to Perth Scotland.

Another (glaringly fundamental) task to add to your list, please.

M.

While I was looking yesterday at the ‘revised’ function allowing searches on hectads, I thought something (else) odd was happening.  I have now had time to confirm that, and also realised another serious flaw.

When I get to the hectad species list (that’s the one with all the Aussie taxon groups, not the ones we have been used to for years on the UK, http://regions.als.scot/feature/6567316 … eciesTab), click on Dragonfishes (it includes the 3-spined Stickleback for those of you who were wondering), then the species, and I am shown a map and offered a button that is labelled ‘List of records’.

If I click a button labelled ‘List of records’, I expect to see a list of records, not the map that appears. Oddly, if I go back a page, and click the button again, I get a list of records.  This seems to be maintained until the end of the current session.

Task 1 – please correct this error and subsequent inconsistency.

There is something far more serious, having parallels with the inexcusable problems that occurred with direct links and the use of EasyMaps in other websites when G5 was introduced.  A couple of years ago, because our members were complaining about the obscure navigation and bandwidth-hungry G5, and simply not using G5, I created a facility to allow a very simple route into NBN data based on hectads.  That was dead easy in javascript, as the relevant URL includes the hectad as e.g. NH45, thus:  https://data.nbn.org.uk/Reports/Sites/NB45/Groups.

I note that the ALS equivalent is http://regions.als.scot/feature/6567316 … peciesTab.  In other words, not only is the effort I have put in to bypassing the faults of G5 going to be junk, but as the hectad does not appear in ‘clear’ I can’t even just re-write the line that builds the URL.  I would need to write a routine that converts the hectad into your ALS hectad code, all to make YOUR absurdly obscure site more accessible, and frankly I think I would instead find something else to do.

Task 2 – please bear in mind - and not only in this specific context – that the ALS relies on a vast body of largely volunteer recorders to provide data, and the rest of the recording community for its success. Would you please therefore incorporate in *ALL* aspects of ALS site design an assessment of the onward effects of your decisions on the folk on whom you rely, who should be your greatest supporters, and who will have to clean up the chaos that otherwise your decisions will create?  We hear a lot about the lack of IT resources in NBN.  Please remember that a vast component of the recording community in Scotland are far less fortunate in that regard.  A good start would be actually to TALK to some of that community to discover the effect of your proposed IT decisions.  If you had approached me, for example, before designing this hectad function in ALS I would have recognised the problem instantly, and you might have provided code that I (and our large cohort of increasingly disillusioned recorders) would have found useful.

Murdo

There have been a few more developments on the NBN Atlas Scotland based on user feedback that we would like to let you know about:

1) Spatial portal OS grid display.

Users can now choose for their data to displayed as either points or OS Grid Squares in the Spatial Portal (under Analyse tab).  Additionally, there are now three types of display available in the Spatial Portal. You can toggle between:

-Variable grid size - This shows the grids at different resolutions. Zoomed right out it will show 100km grids, then 10km grids, and then 2km, 1km, and then 100m as you zoom in. This is the current default.
-Responsive Resolution - Similar to the mapping display in current Gateway Interactive map tool. Only displays the records relating to a single grid resolution size 100km -> 10km -> 2km -> 1km ->100m
-10km grids only - Only show 10km grids

Grid references labels are visible on the grids.

2) Downloads

Downloads now include:
-Licence information at the record level
-OSGR’s, including OSGRs at different resolutions 100km, 10km, 2km, 1km

3) Licence facet

When viewing data by point in the Spatial Portal or the Interactive Map, users can now filter their search by licence and can colour points by licence (see ‘colour by’ dropdown in Spatial Portal)

4) Map downloads

Users can export maps with the grid display in the spatial portal.

Rachel - http://spatial.als.scot/ still isn't working for me. Ref your point 1, can you provide a link with some species layers on that I can play with?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Charlie, can you let us know what happens when you go to http://spatial.als.scot/.  You should see the base map and then you can view all the data in the Atlas through the Spatial Portal by adding species to the map 'Add to Map>Species'.  This button is in the top left corner below the logo.  You can also add Spatial Layers here too 'Layers'

Let me know if you continue to have problems

Thanks Rachel. One probable bug I immediately noticed - on variable grid size (good this is the default, I always change to it in the Gateway IMT options when using that) it seems to be showing little dummy 100m orange squares in the bottom left corners of each 1km or 10km record. Whereas on a real 100m record you can click on the orange square and get the occurrence info. You should be able to see what I mean at NN3548 on "Small" Mountain Ringlet which has a dummy 100m record and a real 100m record within it.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Teresa, please can you send over a screenshot and we can explore.  We can't replicate this at our end

RachelStroud.nbn wrote:

Let me know if you continue to have problems

Hi Rachel - see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6503

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi Rachel here are a couple of screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0kqxL … sp=sharing

Have looked via Chrome and Edge on Windows 10 and got it in both.
They aren't there to being with but then as I zoom in they appear.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

TeresaF wrote:

Thanks Teresa, Dave has got a fix for this, but requires some reindexing. Should be up for tomorrow.  Thanks for finding

Thanks for that update, Rachel.

Can you please explain, however, the order and choice of fields in the download, and the other matters mentioned below?

There are 45 fields in the .csv file.

The binomial appears three times.

The vernacular appears twice.

The lat/long appears twice (4 fields in all, although in the file I have downloaded two are blank).

The field ‘Species Inventory GUID’ appears to contain what we have previously called the TVK.

I am told for every record that it refers to the UK and Scotland (I might have guessed that from the title ‘Atlas of Living Scotland’ and the knowledge that Scotland is still in the UK).  Why?

Despite all that redundancy, the very useful (some would say vitally important) determiner, comment, record type, abundance (but not sex) and other record attributes are absent, despite their lack having been notified months ago.

Most people wanting to inspect a record want in the first instance the ‘what, where, when and who’.  To get that, we need to extract (manually) cols 3, 4, 16, 25, 28, 30, 36.  Why was the current field order chosen?  I assume that there is a good positive reason, for example, behind the decision to place 19 fields between ‘Locality’ and ‘OSGR’, but it escapes me.

The last five fields include as Boolean values these three which are at best obscure:

‘Occurrence status assumed to be present’ - what does this mean (assumed not to be a zero abundance/absence record perhaps)?;

‘Name not in national checklists’ - this would seem to be obvious, but as all the records in my file have this as TRUE, telling me that the species is NOT in a national checklist despite all evidence to the contrary, I have obviously missed something.

‘Precision / range mismatch’ – what does this mean?

Murdo

RachelStroud.nbn wrote:
TeresaF wrote:

Thanks Teresa, Dave has got a fix for this, but requires some reindexing. Should be up for tomorrow.  Thanks for finding

Hi Teresa, this bug has been fixed. 
Rachel

Murdo, see responses in line below:

Can you please explain, however, the order and choice of fields in the download, and the other matters mentioned below?
-So far, the order of fields has not currently been given much thought. We are focusing our efforts on functionality and content at the moment, and will come back to more minor issues such as field order in due course. You will see below that we have adjusted the field order for OSGR and Licences. For now, we assume that it is simple enough for users to move columns around into a useful order for their specific needs after download, though we can of course offer advice if required on how to do this.

The binomial appears three times.
- The system is setup to deal with just names being provided i.e. without GUIDs.  Often these names are in different formats (authorships, abbreviations etc).  GUIDs are obviously a better choice for data exchange. So what we have is 1) the name as provided, then 2) names we’ve matched to (admittedly redundant when records have a taxon version key) and the species name.  The last 3) is for when users download the data for a genus, then the species will of course be different, and if the record is for a subspecies, then (1) and (2) will be a trinomial, while (3) is the bionomial - hopefully useful for sorting.

The vernacular appears twice.
-This is displaying the provided vs the matched name.  e.g.  a record provided with “Red Squirrel” will show ‘Red Squirrel’ as well as matched with the taxon with the preferred name “Eurasian Red Squirrel”

The lat/long appears twice (4 fields in all, although in the file I have downloaded two are blank).
-We’ve got ‘latitude - original’, ‘longitude - original’ and ‘latitude  - processed’ and ‘longitude - processed’. These are the original values (which can have different formatting to a decimal format) and parsed to decimal values.

The field ‘Species Inventory GUID’ appears to contain what we have previously called the TVK.
-This is on our list of things to edit, and we will be changing this to Taxon Version Key in due course.

I am told for every record that it refers to the UK and Scotland (I might have guessed that from the title ‘Atlas of Living Scotland’ and the knowledge that Scotland is still in the UK).  Why?
-This will be useful for when downloading from the NBN Atlas that will cover multiple countries in the UK and British Isles. The user may want to filter out certain countries, and having this information in the download will be very useful for such tasks.  We are using a World country layer which is an ISO country lists and a layer for the countries within the UK.

Despite all that redundancy, the very useful (some would say vitally important) determiner, comment, record type, abundance (but not sex) and other record attributes are absent, despite their lack having been notified months ago.
-This is in our project plan and we will work on getting these attributes added in due course. 

Most people wanting to inspect a record want in the first instance the ‘what, where, when and who’.  To get that, we need to extract (manually) cols 3, 4, 16, 25, 28, 30, 36.  Why was the current field order chosen?  I assume that there is a good positive reason, for example, behind the decision to place 19 fields between ‘Locality’ and ‘OSGR’, but it escapes me.
-This is just the default order that the csv has downloaded as. We will be working on editing the order as time goes on as these can easily be reorded.  We will be posing this question to the steering group to advise the order.  In the interim we have moved the position of some of these columns so that the OSGR’s are near the geospatial info and the licence column is the first column.

The last five fields include as Boolean values these three which are at best obscure: ‘Occurrence status assumed to be present’ - what does this mean (assumed not to be a zero abundance/absence record perhaps)?; 
-Your interpretation is correct. Occurrence status is the term in use within the international standard darwin core.

‘Name not in national checklists’ - this would seem to be obvious, but as all the records in my file have this as TRUE, telling me that the species is NOT in a national checklist despite all evidence to the contrary, I have obviously missed something. 
-Thank you for spotting this bug, this has now been fixed.

‘Precision / range mismatch’ – what does this mean?
-This shows if the coordinatePrecision (see darwin core) is inconsistent with the record provided. e.g. if you say coordinatePrecision=0.00001 but then the coordinates are -3.12, 54.12. See http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/#coordinatePrecision  This attribute is flagged if the value is bad, as it should be between 0 and 1.  We can appreciate the confusion here as the coordinatePrecision is provided but it in the wrong format, i.e 100m.  Will discuss with developer to fix in due course.