Topic: Recorder 6 - Upgrade v6.25.1 (Build 284)

Upgrade 6.25.1.284  is now available at http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4612 .

This is a major upgrade with many bugs fixes and  number of new features, so please read the release notes carefully before implementing. Many thanks to those who have been trying the Release Candidate version and reported bugs. Everything reported has been fixed in this release. Release Candidate users should, therefore, run this upgrade.

Note that upgrades do need to be run as Administrator.  On a standalone system  this may require right  clcking  on RecorderUpgrade (Application) and choose 'Run as Administrator' .

Installation issues may be reported against this topic. Other problems shoukd be reported through the 'Recorder Trouble Shooting and Bug Reports' section of the Forum.

Mike Weideli

Re: Recorder 6 - Upgrade v6.25.1 (Build 284)

Hi Mike

447 - importing without grid references is great, but at the location matching stage, it looks like the import wizard is treating each blank grid reference as discrete. A screenshot explains this better - see attached. I would expect there to just be one entry for Grebe Lake for example.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Might be. It is very complicated to cope with all the options. . Please let me have the screen shot.

Mike Weideli

Sorry Mike - I forgot to click the "add file" after attaching... fingers crossed this time...

Post's attachments

Untitled.jpg 47.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hi

Do you think it works Ok apart from the unwanted lines in the matching list ? Seems to in my testing.

Mike Weideli

Yes - perfectly.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hi
I just upgraded R6 and have now noticed that all our saved reports and rucksacks have disappeared. Previous upgrades have had no effect on any of our templates so it didn't occur to me to be concerned about such a thing happening. Actually it looks like all the reports are missing (e.g. the run screen is blank apart from report wizard saved reports) - and all the batch updates.

I'm now rather concerned as one of our report templates was a polygon report we use for all our data searches....

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

There was a change back in 6.23 which might have affected this. Was the upgrade from 6.24 or an earlier version ?.  If so it might be that the files have moved to a new location. 

Is there anything in your reports folder ? I am concerned that a problem may have occured if your users files are not in the location expected by Recorder.

As a precaution can you get to a backup of the R6 users file folders and secure this ?

Mike Weideli

We were on 6.24 before I did the upgrade.

I've attached a screenshot of our reports folder - the only thing showing in it now is the report wizard template and two sub-folders, both of which are still populated.

Re the backup of the user folders - can I get this by reverting the database from the last backup? Or does it need to come from a server backup? If I click on any of the R6 folders it won't let me restore them (it says there are no previous versions) which I can do with any of our other network folders. R6 is on a separate, SQL, server so this might be set up differently. Our IT officer is on holiday this week so it might not be easy to get an answer right away if the latter.

Post's attachments

ReportFolder_26Aug16.JPG 34.66 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Purgle Linham

Based on the date and time it affected the following folders within the User File folder:
Reports
Deleted Reports
Recording Cards
Rucksacks

These are all empty apart from Reports .
There are several other folders which seem to be empty which i don't remember being empty before but can't be sure. They have various dates.

Just to check nothing has been simply moved, I've looked around all the folders and specifically searched for one of the reports which should be in this and it is nowhere else in the R6 folder.

Purgle Linham

The problem is with the files not the database, so it needs to come from the server backup. There was a change in 6.23 which might have caused the problem, but as you were already on 6.24 this doesn't seem likely. At the moment I can't think of any reason why this should have happened.   

The system supplied reports, batch updates recording cards etc. can easily be restored, but I am concerned about anything you have added.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike.
I contacted our IT support company and got them to restore the last version of the User File folder and all seems fine . Hopefully that was where all the issues were as everything else on the main folder looks as I'd expect. I'll save a copy of it elsewhere to avoid future scares.

Is there something about our structure that might have caused this then? I don't believe we've made any changes since the last upgrade last year.

Purgle Linham

I think I am on the track of this, If so it will have  affected  'Reports', 'Batch Updates', 'Rucksacks', and    'Recording Cards' in the situation where the user file folder is in the Recorder 6  installation path (ie with Recorder6app.exe).   Not sure if you can check this. It is unclear why this didn't happen with the 6.23 or 6.24 upgrade.

Mike Weideli

We've just tested one of our newly restored reports and its throwing up an odd error message. Its the key one we use for data searches so we know it was working prior to the upgrade. I assume this is an upgrade issue rather than an installation issue so I'll report it on the troubleshooting bit of the forum.

Purgle Linham

Charlie - Import Matching showing mutiple '0' grid refs.

Attached is a sql change which I think will fix this. It certainly fixes the problem and I can't see any other unwanted effects, but with this area of the code it is possible that it may create problems elsewhere.  Are you in a position to implement this and test for me . It will be easy to reverse if it causes problems.

Post's attachments

000000AM.zip 960 b, file has never been downloaded. 

Mike Weideli

Purgle - Deletion of User Files

It should only be an issue where the installation has been manually modified in some way (eg. to overcome instalation problems). It will only happen if

1. Users have the 'User Files' folder in the same folder as the application AND
2. The application file path and report file paths in the registry  point to the same folder, but differ in some way from what is expected in a standard install. (eg . a case difference).   

You do not need to take any further action. The Upgrade kit is being changed to stop this happening in future.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure what might have been done to our set=up in the past but we definitely have had installation problems. Good to know its not something I need to worry about in future.

Purgle

Purgle Linham