Topic: Recorder 6 backup

We are trying to reinstall a Recorder 6 database (standalone) from a backup file but have been have been without success so far on a laptop with SQL2014 installed. We have tried various things, mainly changing location of the .bak file as per other forum post suggestions from Mike W but have had the following error messages:

The backup operation cannot compete because the backup device location cannot be opened up.

Unknown backup error 3268

Directory lookup for the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\nbndata_data_log.LDF" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

The operating system returned the error '5(Access is denied.)' while attempting 'RestoreContainer::ValidateTargetForCreation' on 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\nbndata_data_log.LDF'.

File "NBNData_Log" cannot be restored over the existing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\nbndata_data_log.LDF". Reissue the RESTORE statement using WITH REPLACE to overwrite pre-existing files, or WITH MOVE to identify an alternate location.

We initially just copied over an updated .bak file but after this didnt work we then also copied the nbndata_data_log.LDF and NBNData_Log.MDF files. We are wondering if we have been using the correct folder for them and if SQL2014 is set up differently and requires us to put them in a different folder?

Thanks in advance

Re: Recorder 6 backup

A few questions
1. Are you using Management Studio or R6 to do the restore ?
2. What version of SQl Server is the backup in  ?
3. If you have both mdf and ldf and Management Studio then you can detach the existing database and attach the one you want (assuming it is 2008 or later).

See http://www.recorder6.info/page12.html for the detach/attach procedure.

Mike Weideli

1. We have been trying to use Recorder 6 to carry out the backup

2. The backup file came from Management Studio Express 2005 (v9), but the version we are putting it into is SQL 2014

3. We tried to carry out the detach/attach procedure but have come across an error when trying to connect to the server.  See below screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3rc3wholmppm … .docx?dl=0

Thanks

You will not be able to restore or attach  an SQL Server 2005 database into  SQL server 2014  because you can only move up two versions in this way. So a 2005 database can only go into 2008 or 2012. See http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6271  This may be the reason for the restore problem, but it could be other issues. 

You need to resolve the issue of why you can't connect to the instance. I will take a closer look and see if I can suggest anything. Secondly you need your SQL Server 2005 database moved to 2008 so that it can be attached or restored into SQl server 2014. If you know someone with 2008 installed and they have management studio they can attach it and the detach it which only takes a few minutes. If not I can do it for you (no charge) , but would require either the backup or the actual database.

Mike Weideli

The connection problem may be because TCP IP is not enabled by default with SQL Server 2014.     

Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    Expand “SQL Server Network Configuration” and click on “Protocols for MSSQLSERVER”
    Right click on “TCP/IP” and choose “Enable”
    Click “OK” on the Warning that the service will have to be restarted.

You might have trouble finding Configuration Manager if it isn't listed in the program menu. In which case try searching Windows help for Computer Management. Configuration Manager can then be found under Services and Applications. TCP/IP, Shared Memory and Named Pipes should be enabled.

Mike Weideli

Hi  Mike,

We have followed your steps above and the TCP/IP now appears to be enabled (however "Protocols for MSSQLSERVER" was actually "Protocols for MSSQLEXPRESS" - hope this is ok?)

With regards to restoring backup, we only have access to Server 2005 and so would like to take up your offer to attach and detach for us please. We are very happy to pay for your time. Which files would you need and how would you like us to send them (direct email/Dropbox?)

Thanks

It will be easier if I can have nbndata.mdb (log files as well if you have it, but not essential ). I can manage with the backup if this is easier.  Dropbox is fine, but the results will be made available via my web site.  It only a  few minutes work so I will not charge.

With TCP/IP enabled can you now connect with  Management Studio ?

Mike Weideli