Topic: Recorder 6 V6.25 Release Candidate - Upgrade

A new version of Recorder 6 is now available as an upgrade  at www.Recorder6.info/Recorder6_V625_1_282_RC.zip

This is Release Candidate version which means that it has been tested and we believe it to be ready for release, but would like to have it installed and used on a few systems before  making it generally available. We would be grateful to anyone willing to give it a try.  However, please read the release notes attached to this post carefully before installing. Please report any problems via the Forum.

Post's attachments

Release Notes V6_25.zip 289.48 kb, 22 downloads since 2016-04-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Re: Recorder 6 V6.25 Release Candidate - Upgrade

Hi Mike, I'm getting the missing NBNData error - there's a USE [NBNData] in 000000A5.sql.

(see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php? … 89#p15689)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks. They tend to get missed, because it doesn't affect any of my test systems. I assume you can correct this for the time being.  Has been fixed in the file which is there now.

Mike Weideli

Yes, no problem.

So far, so perfect ! This is brill Mike.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

5 (edited by Barbarahsharp 21-04-2016 07:28:54)

As a new user with no live data. I thought I would give the upgrade a try. No problems so far and like the icons on the Observation hierarchy. I don't fully understand about the  Locations as most of my Locations have been imported from another source. What do I have to do to get the ones I want shown with a round circle ?

If you are happy to use all the Locations in your system then there doesn't seem to be much value in worrying about this. It is designed  to work on the Custodian. So for example if you have imported some Locations from an LRC and want to identify  these  as well as your own  when you make selections, then this can be done by setting up their Site Id against  'PrefLocs'  in the Setting Table. If you installed Management Studio as recommended for new installs then this can be done with a query. Open Management Studio and connect to the R6 database. Click on New Query in the menu line. Make sure that the database shown at the top left is NBNData (Not Master) - change this with the dropdown if required.

Copy the following into the query editor window and then Edit the line so that  AAAAAAAA  becomes your Site Id and BBBBBBBB becomes the Site ID of the LRC (leave in the quotes and comma separator) . You can add other site id's if required.  Run the query.  This should  now give you round  icons for the Locations with these site id's as the Custodian. 

UPDATE SETTING SET DATA = 'AAAAAAAA,BBBBBBBB' WHERE NAME = 'PrefLocs'

If have concerns about doing this or didn't install Management Studio then please provide the Site ID's and I will do a Batch Update for you.

Same approach would apply to imported Names except us use PrefNames in the query instead of PrefLocs.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Think this is in relation to 612. I'm trying to change the name of a taxon occurrence, and rather than the "search dialog" box I get an error:

date/time         : 2016-04-21, 14:16:59, 852ms
computer name     : LBP2
user name         : charliebarnes
registered owner  : User
operating system  : Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601
system language   : English
system up time    : 4 hours 59 minutes
program up time   : 35 minutes 4 seconds
processors        : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
physical memory   : 1573/3037 MB (free/total)
free disk space   : (C:) 204.27 GB
display mode      : 1920x1080, 32 bit
process id        : $1004
allocated memory  : 73.70 MB
command line      : RecorderApp.exe /14484338
executable        : RecorderApp.exe
exec. date/time   : 2016-04-19 09:03
version           : 6.25.1.282
compiled with     : Delphi 7
madExcept version : 3.0n
callstack crc     : $8d745569, $e121569d, $e121569d
exception number  : 2
exception class   : EOleException
exception message : Invalid object name '#LastSearchedRucksack'.

(I've worked around it by opening up the taxon dictionary and doing a Ctrl-F. This seems to have reset it)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hi Mick

Another bug - Tools -> Export seems to be permanently greyed out?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Have duplicated the Taxon problem and can now work on a fix.  As far as Export is concerned this is puzzling as I didn't think we had changed anything which affected this. Any further info on this would be appreciated.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike - needless to say the problem with the Export menu item has gone away. If I can recreate it, I'll let you know.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hi Mike

I've just found some time to try this out and most things have worked as expected.

Running the Report Wizard using some of my existing report layouts were throwing 'EOleException - String or binary data would be truncated' errors.  Have tracked it down to the inclusion of the Recommended Taxon Sort Order field, so I guess the field length needs increasing following the changes to lineage and sort order (597).

Looks good, the new symbols will be useful.

Alison

Alison Stewart
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Many thanks. I suspect a change is required to the Report field table. Sql to do this is would be

Update Report_Field SET  Field_Size = '36'  WHERE Report_Field_Key = 'NBNSYS0000000095'

This is the only place I can see at  moment, but there may some others so will need to do some more checking.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike - have installed 6.25 on test laptop and so far Recorder behaving itself - no problems picked up so far....

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

Mike - a bug I think in the implementation of the tag sorting - having given a few of our tags a sort order, I now want to remove it so they can be filed alphabetically. However, deleting the sort order and saving it's defaulting to '0'. This means that they are appearing after all those tags that have never had a sort order given.

Two fixes I can see - either allow nulls to be entered in the user interface or set all concept sort orders to '0'.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Many thanks All new tags will get 0 as a sort order by default. The easiest thing to do will be to change the sort order from Null to 0 on all existing tags. It isn't a  big enough problem  for me to withdraw the upgrade  which is with JNCC for loading onto the web site. If it causes a problem I can do batch update to fix.

Mike Weideli

> MikeWeideli wrote:

> 0 as a sort order by default

Ah, yes - hadn't spotted that. No problem adding 0s in myself.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Ah, just come across another bug - but this may be related to the other issue of renaming tags (the one where renaming a tag creates a new one).

- set the sort order of an existing tag to 0
- rename to the tag

Result: sort order is set to null, and the tags rise to the top of the list.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Me again Mike - adding tags via the obs hierarchy also doesn't set the sort order to 0

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

19 (edited by BDeed 14-07-2016 12:21:26)

Just for tracking. (Mike's aware).

version 6.25.0.281
Report wizard export is replacing Obs Comment values with (memo)/(MEMO) as http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=5227
Report wizard export has changed Obs Zero Abundance values from TRUE/FALSE to YES/NO
Report wizard export has changed Obs Confidential values from TRUE/FALSE to YES/NO

Running upgrade against db which already has 'Associate' Filter stops upgrade (- Workaround remove script from upgrade package)

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Report Wizard and other reported issues with the Release Candidate have been fixed in the release version which is waiting for JNCC to put on the R6 web site.

The version which will be released (6.25.1.284) is currently available at www.LField.co.uk/downloads/V6.25.1Upgrade.zip  and the release notes for this at www.LField.co.uk/downloads/Rec6v625_ReleaseNotes.doc

Users who have installed the release candidate version of 6.25  should run this upgrade.  Please read the release notes before installing.

Users who manually installed the Associate Filter  will need to delete the content of script A0 (use notepad), before running the upgrade.  The file should be left in the scripts folder, but with no content.

Mike Weideli

21 (edited by charliebarnes 15-07-2016 12:04:06)

Excellent Mike - there's a typo in your post; the download URL should be http://lfield.co.uk/downloads/V6.25.1Upgrade.zip

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Me again, again - adding a survey to a tag via the obs hierachy resets the tag sort code to null.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hi

I can't delay the release to fix this, so it has been logged for a fix in a future  release.

Mike Weideli

The Associate filter doesn't seem to work with a name. Seems Ok witha key or an organisation, but not an individuals name.

Names have to be put in in with Forename/Initials/Surname as held in Recorder, but without spaces. So John  E Smith needs to go in as JohnESmith in the filter. It was mainly intended for Organisations where either Organisation full name or acronym should work.

Mike Weideli