Re: Re-installing Satellite copies

We had a Satellite copy of Recorder 2002 which was on a computer that died. The recorder would like it to be re-installed as they have a lot of records to be entered.

Now that we are on R6, should I install a stand alone version of R6 for them? Can I install it under the same license that they had or do we need to purchase a new one? Or should I just re-install R2002, and if so how can I get their data back into their copy as I understand that there are problems getting R6 data into R2002.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

If you have a Recorder 6 installation CD and a Recorder 6 or Recorder 2002 Site ID you can install Recorder 6 with them. There is no need to buy another copy of the CD or another Site ID even if the CD belongs with a different Site ID. The Site ID, however, must remain unique, i.e there must only be one installation per Site ID, so it if has been used to install Recorder 2002 the data in that system should be transferred to the Recorder 6 installation. The copy of Recorder 6 must not be used for a different dataset.

Installation will be easier if you have a version 6.10.4 standalone installation CD but a network installation CD can be used to install the system on a standalone computer. The advantage of the standalone CD is that it does all 4 stages of the installation without the user being aware that there are different stages. Using a v6.10.4 CD will save you having to run any upgrades.

When exporting data to be imported into another copy of Recorder it is recommended that the Export Type of NBN Access Database (zipped) is used. This method produces a smaller file that exports and imports more quickly. The exception to this is when data is to be exported from Recorder 6 and imported into Recorder 2002. In this case it is necessary to use the Export Type of NBN Data because this option creates an .xml file which copes with the differences in data structure whereas the zipped database option does not.

If you are transferring their data from your system I think you will need to run the LastKeyUpdate add-in after importing it to ensure new data doesn't overwrite anything imported. I presume this is necessary in Recorder 6 but haven't actually tested it.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Thanks Sally. It sounds straightforward enough!

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk