1 (edited by DaveSlade 18-01-2008 10:01:20)

Re: From bad to worse....

In my attempts to find out why the Import wizard is failing, I appear now to have completely broken R6! I now cannot even log on:

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 18/01/2008 09:57:43.
Version : 6.10.4.120

Exception path:
EOleException : Could not allocate space for object 'Session' in database 'NBNData' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 1,046,508 KB

DLLs loaded:
  advapi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  comctl32.dll (5.82.2900.2982)
  comdlg32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  gdi32.dll (5.1.2600.3159)
  HHCtrl.ocx (5.2.3790.2847)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.3119)
  mpr.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  MS5.Dll (5.0.0.12)
  MS5User.Dll (5.0.0.4)
  odbc32.dll (3.525.1117.0)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2726)
  oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.3139)
  shell32.dll (6.0.2900.3241)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.3099)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winmm.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winspool.drv (5.1.2600.2180)

I'm about to re-boot the server, so we'll see if that helps, but all in all I'm not enjoying the R6 experience at the moment!

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

The re-boot did not solve the problem. R6 is not allowing me to log on.

Dave Slade

Dave, what sort of free disk space have you got on the server there the NBNData_Date.mdf files reside? What is the filesize of of that file and are you running SQL Server/Express or MSDE?

Dave Cope,
Biodiversity Technology Officer,
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park.

There's 50Gb free on the disk that the NBNDATA_data.mdf, and 8.9GB on the other server drive. It's a full version of SQL server - although I'm not sure whether it's 2005 or earlier.

Dave Slade

Ok. The reason I asked was I had a similar problem then an import took msde over it's file limit. I've since moved to SQL Express. Do you have the DB management tools for SQL Server. Can you create your own databases in SQL Server and log into them. This might point to a global problem or one that relates just to Recorder perhaps.

Dave Cope,

Yes, I've got SQL Server Management Studio Express, and I've been able to get in and look at the NBNData database without any problems. It's also just let me create a new test database and delete it again.

Dave Slade

Is the log in problem confined to your machine or is it everyone else's too.

Dave Cope,

Ok, looking at the properties of the database it appears that the size is 1929.87MB, and the space available is 0MB! I guess it wasn't a full SQL server install after all, but I don't understand why!

Dave Slade

Dave, have a look at this

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21129043

Dave Cope,

DaveSlade wrote:

Ok, looking at the properties of the database it appears that the size is 1929.87MB, and the space available is 0MB! I guess it wasn't a full SQL server install after all, but I don't understand why!

It sounds to me like the dreaded MSDE 2GB file size limit.

Dave Cope,

Have you checked the db's autogrowth settings? See the following screencast for steps to get to these settings:

http://www.screencast.com/t/JjSJaHivtY

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Yes, despite being set to grow automatically and unrestricted as the article indicates, it does appear that the file has reached it's maximum. I'll have to get Mike Weideli in to find out why, since I thought he'd installed us on a full version of SQLServer.

Dave Slade

Hope you manage to get it going again. If it's any help, the installation of SQL Server Express was quite painless and it corrected errors when the NBNData files were reattached - so I didn't have to resort to the backups either. (There are reports of MDF corruption is they are not detached properly).

Dave Cope,

Thanks for your help guys. Fortunately our data-entry staff are off until Tuesday so I've got a few days to sort this out.

Dave

Dave Slade

All of my recent problems have been resolved by migrating to SQL Server Express 2005. Although Small Business Server is supposed to come with a full version of SQL Server, it appears that we installed Recorder on an MSDE instance that was created by our anti-virus software. Quite where my full copy of SQL server is on the server I'm not sure, but at least we've got a bit of breathing space for data entry!

Dave Slade

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I didn't hear about the problems you've been having until now because my email digest thingy seems to have stopped working. Our copy of Small Business Server came with a copy of SQL Server, but after a couple of fruitless hours of searching for it, I discovered they simply supply it on a CD, and you have to install it yourself. I suppose that's because there's a fair bit of configuration to go through first, but anyway, if you need the full SQL Server (probably only SQL Server 2000, although that's worked fine for us), you should have it somewhere!

Tim

After failing to install the full version of SQL Server from my SBS installation disks I tried to re-install SQL Server Express - which was working fine before I started meddling.
Although R6 is currently working without any problem on the the server, it is not accepting network connections. There is an obvious check box in the connections tab of the database properties which say 'Allow network connections' and being obvious I've ticked it. So why is not actually accepting network connections?  There was no problem with the firewall before and I've not changed any settings there... where else can I look?

Dave Slade

The only other thing that might hint at what is wrong is that the 'EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Update_One', 'NBNUser' , 'NBNUser' failed to run - reporting that the user was invalid or didn't exist despite there being an 'NBNUser' in the NBNData database. The script ran after an 'NBNUser' was created under the 'master' database.

Dave Slade

Panic over - thanks to Mike Weideli. The problem despite the 'Allow Network connections' box being ticked, the engine was not actually allowing them:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277/en-us

Dave Slade