Topic: Species name mismatch in bulk verify for Verification 3 form

I am using the Verification / Verification 3 form, displaying in the grid: User, Species, Common name, Site name, Grid ref, Date.

If I select bulk verify for a record with Common name of 'European Rabbit', the popup offers to bulk verify records of 'Rabbit', so actually does nothing. How do I make the bulk verify use the Common name of the selected record?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Re: Species name mismatch in bulk verify for Verification 3 form

Hi Chris

My first thought on reading your question is that your interpretation of what is going wrong may not be correct.

To test this I entered one record using the species name 'Rabbit', a second using 'European Rabbit' and a third using 'Oryctolagus cuniculus'.

In the grid they all appear with Species 'Oryctolagus cuniculus' and Common Name of 'European Rabbit' because these are the preferred name and the default common name respectively. All three names are understood to mean the same thing as they are synonymous and share a common taxon_meaning_id. In the Key Facts for each record you see the species name as entered. Likewise, if you bulk verify on a row, the dialog uses the species name as entered, not as shown in the grid.

I tried bulk verification on my record which was entered as 'Rabbit' by checking the radio button 'Verify grid's records of Rabbit'. Lo and behold, nothing is verified, just as you have observed, neither the selected record nor synonymous ones.

Looking in the server log I find that you are very nearly right. The species name as entered is used to filter records but against the preferred name (which is 'Oryctolagus cuniculus'). Only when I bulk verify on a record entered as 'Oryctolagus cuniculus' does the bulk verification take effect and verify all 3 records. I would say this is a bug.

I then examined the Verification 5 form. This does use the taxon_meaning_id for bulk verification, ensuring all synonymous records are verified together. I am not inclined to suggest we do any maintenance on an old version of the form unless you have some special reason. My recommendation is that you change to the Verification 5 form. If you don't have this in your current installation then you will probably need to extract the development version of the iform module from the repository. If you want instruction for that, would you be so kind as to start a new thread in the forum with suitable title which I will respond to.

Jim Bacon.