Topic: Confirmation on General Purpose Data Entry Forms / Sample occurrences

I am using the General Purpose Data Entry Forms / Sample occurrences form for records capture.

If the user enters a grid reference manually in 'Spatial Ref.' (rather than selecting a location), they want to be able to confirm the correctness of that on the map before the record is submitted. Because I am using an 'All One Page' interface style, when they press 'Enter' to confirm the location, the form is submitted if everything else is complete. This fundemental problem also exists on the Mammal Society website (on which my client wants their site modelled), but because that uses a 'Tabs' interface style, the 'Enter' just takes them to the next (observer details) tab, and they can go back to review the location.

Has anyone found a good workaround to this?
- Could a 'Check location' button be added in the 'Spatial Ref.' control that triggers the map refresh rather than 'Enter'.
- Is there a mandatory 'ready for submission' check box attribute that I could put at the foot of the form, which would prevent the form from autosubmitting until it was checked?
- Is there any way to provide a confirmation screen before the record is committed?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Re: Confirmation on General Purpose Data Entry Forms / Sample occurrences

Hi Chris,

My recollection is that the map updates the moment the grid reference text box loses focus. I think I solved this problem by adding a <button>Check location</button> in the Form Structure which doesn't actually do anything when clicked except receive the focus and allow the map to update.

You could add a check box using html in the Form Structure. However you would then need to add a tiny bit of JavaScript to make it mandatory.

Adding a confirmation screen sounds like a more complex bit of JavaScript.

Jim Bacon.

Re: Confirmation on General Purpose Data Entry Forms / Sample occurrences

To anyone else reading this thread at a later date, it was necessary to include the type="button" attribute in the <button ...> tag to prevent it submitting the form.

Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting