Re: Toolkit for installing 6.10

Here's what I took out today to install Recorder 6.10 on a friend's PC:

Nice shiny new ringbinder containing:
1. Printed installation instructions from the 6.10 standalone disk
2. Registration forms complete with Site ID & registration code
3. Printout of some Sally Rankin workshop
4. Printout of Stuart Ball's Recorder Guide
5. Printout of the part of the new Recorder Help file which explains all about the import fields

6. Recorder 6.10 standalone installation disk
7. A copy of my friend's spreadsheet data on a USB flash disk
8. A preliminary attempt in that same spreadsheet file, to match his fields to those needed by Recorder
9. Laptop with Excel
10. Assistant (Lizzy)

Installation was a breeze

But we finished up with several essential things missing:

11. All the Vice-Counties in mif format (surely this is a basic for 90% of new users - why can't they be on the CD)
12. The Vice-Counties as Locations (N.B. these two would have given me a chance to demonstrate good housekeeping wrt an hierarchical tidying of Locations)
13. The facility to import Sample ref (an absolute essential - heard of target notes in Phase 1 surveys?)
14. The facility to filter on same
15. The facility to filter on Surveyor's reference
16. The facility to delete Survey (needed in order to perform several test imports using 8.)
17. A page or two on the CD entitled "Getting started" which would help anyone else in my position, trying to cover the above

Suggestions please:
1. What extra things would you take (no smart answers from Hampshire LRC about 10.)
2. Why is there a difference between our LRC installation & items 13 to 15 - and how can I fix these for my friend
3. When will 16. be ready

Good post Darwyn, I agree with pretty much all of that.

I would also take SQL Server Management Studio Express and I would install the suite of scripts Mike W provides on his website, particularly the abundance reporting report wizard attributes and the Sample Type attribute, which he has just this very day provided me with.

I would also like to just take this opportunity to say that I went to a site a few days ago to upgrade their Recorder 2002 to Recorder 6 and the upgrade went absolutely seamlessly. No errors, no problems, just a solid, working copy of Recorder 6.10, complete with fully upgraded dictionary. It seems that most posts on here are (understandably) all about the problems people have, so I just wanted to redress that a tiny bit with a success story.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Just for info...

Not quite sure what Darywn means when he says the vice county locations themselves (in the location hierarchy) are missing from the install CD's - these should be there and have been with the CD's I've used.

I've emailed Darwyn directly to clarify.

I'll look into the possiblity of providing the boundaries on the installation CD's for the next version - we will provide these if we can.

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

12. Might have been a windows refresh thing, he's got them now without anyone having to do anything
Still very keen to be able to import Sample ref - anyone any ideas?