Topic: Display surveys using Survey Tag hierarchy

Hi

In the Enhanced Term Lists window Survey 'Tags' can be added using a hierarchy (so tags can have a child/parent relationship).  This is handled in the database by the 'Concept_Relation_Key' table.

Would it be possible to change Recorder so that, when Surveys are organised by Survey Tags, they can be displayed using this Survey Tag hierarchy?

Thanks
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Re: Display surveys using Survey Tag hierarchy

I think I requested this a while back (2012) - seem to recall there was some issue on how it would display surveys tagged with a 'child' tag (i.e. under the child tag and parent tag, or just the child tag etc.).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Is this not already the case? Or maybe I am mistaking your intent.

Tools/Options (General tab) - Organise surveys by tag tickbox.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

No, the tag hierarchy in the observation window only shows a single level (basically collapses the hierarchy) whereas the Enhanced Term Lists is able to show a "real" hierarchy (i.e. multiple levels).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

I have logged the request  for further investigation.

Mike Weideli

6 (edited by AndyFoy 24-08-2015 18:02:52)

Thanks Mike ... this would be really handy.

Thinking about Charlie's post ... I'd say, if a tag was a child then it should only display under the parent tag, not as a tag in it's own right.  So the only tags that would appear are those at the top of the hierarchy (i.e. tags that have no parent).

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

This flattening of the Tag hierarchy in the main Survey window is particularly problematic for an NSS. A small set of records I've been sent from a LERC for research purposes (that's what NSSs do) contained 11 Surveys and the best I can do to tidy them all away is under one Tag labelled with the LERC name. Imagine that times 60.
The system might work OK for a LERC but it's totally inadequate for an NSS.

I understand the issue and have logged it as a  possible development. It looks like a fairly complex modification,  so I wouldn't expect we have the resources to look at it this year. What funding will be available next year is of course unknown.

Mike Weideli

Can you ask for a DMS to be added to the Tag system too, Mike. A Sources tab for external references to be recorded to a Tag.
Thanks.

10 (edited by charliebarnes 07-03-2016 12:24:01)

MikeWeideli wrote:

I understand the issue and have logged it as a  possible development.

Mike, it might be worth fixing the problem with the TERMS table first, where new TERMS (tags) are created instead of edited when edited (name change). This leaves redundant TERMS that can't be removed from the UI and causes a 

Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'IX_Term_Unique'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.Term'.

if you try to add it back again.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

I have added this as a bug. However, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem. Probably I am not doing  things in the correct sequence. Please could you explain how you are creating the problem.  It may be something I can fix - if so the fix may be in the next release

Mike Weideli

It is a specific set of sequences that causes it - let me try and replicate it (I did yesterday..)

I think the terms are getting orphaned somehow, but if you check the TERMS table you'll see that an edit does cause a new term to be created, whereas a delete actually removes it:

Using the enhanced termlists:

1) Create a new survey tag (Add term)
2) Enter TestOne as the term
3) Save

TestOne is now in the Terms table

4) Edit TestOne, change to TestTwo
5) Save

TestOne and TestTwo are now in the Terms table.

6) Delete TestTwo

TestOne remains in the Terms table and can't be removed using the GUI - the presence of TestOne causing the duplicate key error when you try and reuse it.

Also, there is another bug with survey tags - if you add a description to a survey tag, save, then try to delete that description I get

Invalid object name 'Taxon_Dictionary_Thesaurus_Fact_Mapping'.
Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Thanks. I have managed to get the first problem to happen just once, but not consistently. I will see if Sally can duplicate it.  I know what is causing the second issue and this will be fixed in the next release.

Mike Weideli

Version 6 25 which will be available shortly  as a Release Candidate will allowa sort order to be applied to tags. This isn't based on the hierrachy, but will allow users to allocate a sort order to tags through the Enhanced Terms list.

The bug relating to deleting a tag will also be fixed in this release.

Mike Weideli