1 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 08-12-2015 10:13:26)

Topic: Working with Ordnance Survey geographic resources

re NBN eNews item “Working with Ordnance Survey geographic resources” by Phil Wyndham

In 2015 the classic range of paper maps were updated to include a digital download with each map purchased. The OS Explorer (1 25 000 scale) are already available, with the OS Landranger (1 50 000 scale) joining them early in 2016. 
With each paper map a unique code is included that allows a copy to be downloaded on a smartphone or tablet. This digital map is not just a simple image, but includes full GPS capabilities to show your exact location or record your journey, as well as the ability to plot routes and save them for later use.

What about GPS devices?
There's no clue here about how I might download to my Garmin Montana or indeed any other rational kind of handheld GPS.
Still £300 at https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod168575.html

2 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 08-12-2015 12:22:52)

Re: Working with Ordnance Survey geographic resources

I'll be buying 1:25,000 paper maps around Canterbury for the 2016 Dipterists Forum field week  (probably maps 137, 138, 149, 150) and have no use for the smartphone unlock codes.
Codes for sale at £1 each when I buy them.

Let's find out if they are transferable.

3 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 05-01-2017 08:01:00)

Do we have any news about negotiations with Ordnance Survey about making their data available to us.
Negotiations were under way by NBN over a year ago and we've had nothing since despite reassurances that NBNt were going to continue trying.

Hello Darwyn

Thanks for your post.  I am not sure of where we are at with this but will check with the team and a response will be posted once we have an update on this.

Kind Regards

Sarah

Hi Darwyn

Following your post please see an updated response on this below;

Thank you for raising this.  Indeed the NBN Secretariat and SBIF Chair met with OS in London in early 2016 to discuss the process of the NBN Trust buying an OS licence for us by NBN Trust members.  OS were receptive to arranging a licence for non-commercial use of OS layers for NBN Trust members (though this would not be at a discounted price and NBN Trust would need to work with members to raise the collective funds).  These discussions will be continuing in conjunction with the SBIF Review once the NBN Atlas is live later in the spring.

Kind Regards

Sarah