Topic: THRS Terrestrial Heteroptera rules

Graham,

The seasonal period rule for Grypocoris stysi - Grypocoris stysi seasonal time period rule.txt has a start date but no end date. This is causing some of our records to fail verification by the Record Cleaner.

Charlie Darling
Biodiversity Data Assistant
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Re: THRS Terrestrial Heteroptera rules

Hello Charlie

Presumably the end date should be the end of the year and not missing. I will check this with Biological Records Centre and if so correct the rule, along with the other Terrestrial Heteroptera rules where the end date in missing.

In the meantime, if you wish you can edit the rule by right clicking on the rule in NBN Record Cleaner's verification tests screen and changing EndDate=1231. It should then pass verification, unless the record is before the seasonal start date (1st May).

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Graham,

Thanks for the quick response. I won't be able to try out your suggestion until tomorrow as I am only at SWT 2 days a week. The British Bugs website gives an adult seasonal period of June to August for Grypocoris stysi with nymphs emerging in May. I've started going through our records which I finished processing through the Record Cleaner on Friday. So far only 3 Survey Tags are affected with about 3 more to examine - possibly due to Heteroptera being under recorded apart from dedicated invertebrate surveys. If it's of any help to you here is a list of the species which  i have found so far with no end date.

Plagiognathus (Plagiognathus) arbustorum
Mecomma (Mecomma) ambulans
Leptopterna ferrugata
Cyllecoris histrionius
Dicyphus (Dicyphus) epilobii
Apolygus spinolae
Dicyphus (Dicyphus) constrictus
Leptopterna dolabrata
Psallus (Psallus) varians
Himacerus (Anaptus) major
Atractotomus magnicornis
Polymerus (Poeciloscytus) palustris

Charlie

Graham,

I tried your suggestion about editing the rule but the Record Cleaner still failed 2 records from a particular Survey Tag which just happened to be one of mine from 2013 that I had identified from a photograph. I also found 1 more Trichoptera seasonal period rule with no end date -  Plagiognathus (Plagiognathus) chrysanthemi.
After final checking of all of our records which we process through the Record Cleaner prior to submitting to the NBN Gateway, I also found the following Gelechiid Recording Scheme seasonal period rules with no end date.

Scrobipalpa acuminatella
Scrobipalpa atriplicella
Scrobipalpa clintoni
Scrobipalpa costella

Charlie

Graham,

Ignore my comment about editing the rules not working in my last post. I had the dates the wrong way round. Works fine with the date right way round.

Charlie

Hello Charlie

BRC have updated the Terrestrial Heteroptera seasonal rules which I have now updated on the NBN Record Cleaner.

Best wishes

Graham

Hello Charlie

The Gelechiid Recording Scheme seasonal rules with missing end dates have now been updated by BRC and are on the NBN Record Cleaner.

Best wishes

Graham

Graham,

After I noticed your posting on the NBN Forum about the updated Gelechiid I tried updating them in the Record Cleaner but something seemed to go wrong.
The only files which were updated were as follows:-

under NBNRecordCleaner

TempUpdateLog.xml

under NBNRecordCleaner\VerificationData

catalogue
servers.txt

under NBNRecordCleaner\VerificationData\Gelechiid Recording Scheme

index.txt

No files were updated in the folder NBNRecordCleaner\VerificationData\Gelechiid Recording Scheme\GRS Moth Rules\GRS\seasonalperiod

Is there an easy way of correcting this or do I have to reinstall the Record Cleaner?

Charlie

Hello Charlie

You can manually remove all the verification rules from NBN Record Cleaner's VerificationData folder and then download the verification rules again through NBN Record Cleaner. Instructions on doing this is provided in the NBN Record Cleaner user guide (section 13.4 Clearing verification rules) - http://data.nbn.org.uk/recordcleaner/do … rguide.pdf

This does need to be done for all the rules and not just the Gelechiid Recording Scheme's rules and also you will need to make sure to then download at least one identification difficulty rule file as this forces the NBN Record Cleaner to recreate the master species list file. I have done this many times without a problem but alternatively you may find it easier to uninstall and reinstall Record Cleaner again.

Best wishes

Graham

Graham,

Thanks - I was actually aware of that method and was wondering if there was a more recent, simpler way . However, it didn't take too long to sort it out.

Thanks again,

Charlie