1 (edited by kbalmer 11-05-2015 10:36:00)

Topic: taxonObservations/species Polygon search down?

I'm trying to use taxonObservations/species to do a polygon search and am getting the error message

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

As I haven't changed my code recently I presume this is a problem at the NBN end?

(Using taxonObservations/species to return a species list for a gridRef is still working okay).

Regards, Keith

Re: taxonObservations/species Polygon search down?

Hi Keith, we are loading in a large boundary dataset at the moment which seems to be taking much longer than expected and is hitting the database in an odd way at the moment. I will put up some notices about the issue for now and will try and keep an eye on it, but I was hoping it would go in and finish over the weekend, but apparently it has other ideas right now.

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK

Hi Matt, is this still an issue today?

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Hi, it has just finished processing (after 7 days), so things should start to return to normal now, there may still be some oddness rumbling about for the next few days while the databases figure themselves out again so I will leave the messages up until I can see everything working correctly again.

Matt

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK

Cheers Matt.

Ok looks like everything is working fine again, please let us know if there are still problems lurking about however.

Matt

Matt Debont
Application Developer

Just to confirm. Our use of this service is now working fine.

Polygon searches seem to be down again. I'm getting a response of

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Internal Server Error</h1>
<p>The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.</p>
<p>Please contact the server administrator at
webmaster@bedscape.org.uk to inform them of the time this error occurred,
and the actions you performed just before this error.</p>
<p>More information about this error may be available
in the server error log.</p>
<p>Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</p>
</body></html>

I have contacted myself as instructed but I wasn't able to help me(!)

I'm presuming this to be an NBN issue as I haven't knowingly changed anything recently.

Keith

9 (edited by matt.debont 24-07-2015 07:54:08)

Hi Keith, there haven't been any changes to this service in a long time, would it be possible to see what sort of query you are firing off and I will see what I can do for you as that message isn't much help to me.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Debont
Application Developer

Hi Matt,

This is looking like I've hit some sort of limit on our website. I'm making the call below, which if I enter it directly into a browser works fine, but when I call it through some intervening php dies. I'd recently added some extra datasetKeys for our new datasets which has pushed something over the edge. If I reduce the number of  datasetKeys the php starts working again. The browser's successful response is 358638 bytes which doesn't seem excessive for a HTTP_Request2 response? I shall have to dig deeper but I fear it's a problem at my end rather than yours...

https://data.nbn.org.uk/api/taxonObserv … dYear=2020

Regards, Keith

I am not really a PHP guy so I think I will be of limited help on that one, but as you said I don't think that is a particularly large response for a HTTP_Request2 call. If you find something amiss please let us know as it may be worth adding it to the documentation as a gotcha.

Matt Debont
Application Developer

Hi Keith,

Did you manage to resolve this? It may just be that you need to up the site memory limit slightly?

Well, I spent half a day trying to corner this problem on the 24th July, but failed. It seemed to be something to do with the nature of the request rather than the quantity of returned data. I almost convinced myself that there was a limit of 22 parameters somewhere, but never quite proved it.

I returned to the problem on 31st July only to find that I could no longer reproduce it! Something somewhere changed during the intervening week and I can happily use 24 parameters without a problem. It is still working today.

So I don't know where the problem lay, but it has gone away, for now...

Keith