Topic: How to create a customised species list

I can see on the Warehouse how I upload a species list for my survey on CSV format. I'd like this to be a localised subset of the 'UK Master List'. Where can I obtain a copy of that in a format that I can filter and upload for my survey?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Re: How to create a customised species list

To answer the question directly, I would approach Chris Raper of the NHM which you can do through another part of this forum, http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewforum.php?id=16

Another option to consider, though, is to create a child list of the UK Master List within Indicia. I couldn't find any documentation on this but I have done it once or twice. It allows you to type in a species name which is looked up in the Indicia list and all the details are copied across in to your list. What I don't know, but would be interested to find out, is whether the child list is an isolated copy or whether it is linked to the master list and kept up to date with changes made there.

Jim Bacon.

If they work as I expect, I think a child list may be exactly what I need (however, it's difficult to assess my expectations without any documentation).

Although a bit wary of the issues described at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4439, I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Ho, ho!
Thanks for linking to that old post. I'd forgotten all about that.

I can see from the snippet showing the contents of the taxa_taxon_lists table that the child list refers to the same entries in the taxa table as the parent list so updates to the parent taxa will also update the child list. This means that child lists of the UK Master List will automatically be kept up to date with changes in nomenclature and NBN Taxon Version Key which is probably pretty useful.

The issue in that previous post was just to do with a report query that needed updating to take account of child lists. This could just have been an outcome of a report being used in a way not originally envisaged.

Jim Bacon.