Re: Upgrade to 6.7.2

I have a problem upgrading.
None of the options in the Database Login achieve an upgrade.
The "Use my NT account" option ran and didn't produce an upgrade (it remains at 6.6.8.59), this is the option which should work as I'm administrator on my own PC and use Windows authentication mode.
When I use the SQL Server account "sa" I'm told I'm not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection, despite the fact that I am "sa".

Darwyn,

Is this a network or standalone install?  Is it using the default instance of MSDE or your own SQL Server?

When you tried "Use my NT account" option was it possible that Recorder was still in use by someone else?  Also, do you have full edit rights to the folder containing the Recorder applications files when you run the upgrade?

Regards,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

This is a network version run on a single PC (this type of installation was recommended by several people, esp. Mike Weideli). It uses my own SQL Server. As the only user on my PC it was not possible that Recorder was in use by someone else and I have full edit rights to all folders on my PC.
I test all upgrades etc. at home before putting our LRC services at risk.

Microsoft wrote:

Windows Authentication
When a user connects through a Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 user account, SQL Server revalidates the account name and password by calling back to Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 for the information.

Which means that the database login I should use is Use my NT account
This causes the upgrade to run for about 10 seconds, I'm then told Recorder upgrade complete
My version of Recorder still indicates 6.6.8.59
Could I please have some help with this problem.

I had a similar problem Darwyn - I ran the upgrade (from my workstation), which took about 10 seconds (clearly it wasn't upgrading anything) and was left with a non-upgraded Recorder. I eventually upgraded manually, i.e. I ran each sql install script in sequence, then copied the new files over to the server. Whatever the problem was, it seems network installations and upgrades are fraught with issues and I would certainly welcome a stripped down, but fully documented, manual method of installation as a fallback. Is there some code floating around that runs the upgrade scripts in the correct sequence?

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

The upgrade kit basically just copies the files across (which you can do manually) then runs the scripts in sequence.  If it is failing, you could try manually copying the files, then running it again so that it runs the scripts in sequence automatically.  The only remaining thing is to make sure the "DB Seq" value in the Setting table is updated to reflect the last script run, so that the next update can pick up from where it left off.

One thing to check when it fails - are any of the files in the Recorder folder left read only?  Also, when you run the upgrade and it fails, try rebooting and running it again.  Its possible that if you have run Recorder in the current session that it has not shut down properly so the process is still running.  I'm not aware of a problem that could cause this, but its certainly a possibility.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

For me the upgrade never actually failed as such in the normal sense. It ran, giving the impression that the upgrade had completed, but it didn't actually do anything. The speed with which is ran first alerted me to this; Recorder upgrades typically take longer to process than a few seconds.

I didn't know about the DB Seq value before, so perhaps this is out of step? I'll have a look at it. I'll make sure it's set to whatever the last script is in the latest upgrade package, then when 6.8 arrives I'll give the installer another test.

Charles

Charles Roper
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

8 (edited by Graham Hawker 31-05-2006 13:32:58)

We have two standalone versions and I thought I'd give the upgrade a go. All I get is a message that the Registry Editor cannot import C:/Program Files/Recorder 6/Addins/Updaterec6addins.reg  Error opening file. And now Recorder doesn't start (unhandled error at login). Edit: Same thing after a restart - Recorder 6 no longer working. These are definately the sort of upgrades I could do without.

Graham Hawker
Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Graham Hawker

Graham

When you ran the upgrade, did you have local machine administrator access, or were you logged in as someone with restricted access?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John

Yes I have full admin rights - as far as I know. The machine is on the County Council network and the IT depatment have given me administrator rights. I don't know if there are restrictions I'm not aware of - I'm certainly listed as an adminstrator and have no previous problems with loading software or carrying out upgrades including Recorder 2002 and Recorder 6 besides this one.

Graham Hawker

Hi Graham,

Ok, next thing to try - first, what operating system are you using?  Also, can you try double clicking on the file "C:/Program Files/Recorder 6/Addins/Updaterec6addins.reg" and seeing what happens?  This file is designed to convert some old addin references to the new Recorder 6 ones.

Cheers,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

We're using Windows 2000.

That file is not present.

I'm reinstalling the program so it at least works. It was interesting to note that the uninstall function didn't uninstall any of the Recorder 6 files including the program file. First time I assumed it had uninstalled and the reinstall didn't work. Second time I deleted the Recorder 6 directory and it seems to be working.

Graham Hawker

Hi Graham,

Did you already do a fresh reinstall?

THer reason I ask is that we also had problems uninstalling a workstation- ending up phyisically deleting folders, & most importantly the registry entries.

I still have one workstation with a totally unusable part-upgraded Recorder standalone in it. However have got a network of around a dozen volunteers using others so will clean that one up when I get round to it!

Rob

I didn't clean out the registry but phyically deleting folders seems to have worked.

Graham Hawker

I reinstalled Recorder 6. This is the latest version but there is an upgarde directory on the disc so I ran it and the missing file(s) have appeared. I just don't remember any instructions concerning running this upgrade. So now it's back to the new upgrade..........

Graham Hawker

Hi,

The original upgrade ran fine for me.  I'm now upgrading a different network copy and the upgrade is not working. 
Can someone tell me where on the server I copy these files to, and in what order to run them?
Thanks,
Catherine

Catherine

I talked to Charles Roper recently about this 6.7.2 upgrade and the story he gave me was that the network version for him required the efforts of 2 genii whereas the upgrading of stand-alones (satellites) were a breeze.
I'm stuck. I've got contracts requiring me to provide data before a certain date, undertakings to update datasets on the NBN Gateway, an RSPB enquiry that I could fulfil easily if I could bung my birds on the NBN Gateway and, to almost come full circle, pressure being applied from one member of the Hoverfly Recording Scheme duo to cough up records for the Dipterists Forum field weeks at the same time that the other one is testing upgrade 6.8.
I could try to buy in a day from Mike Weideli but I'd rather have a working 6.8 that I can install myself.
Can anyone assist with my dilemmae.

Perhaps you could offer to join in with the 6.8 testing effort? I'd be willing to help test 6.8 too, as we're desperate for it as well.

Charles Roper

Darwyn (and others)
If you run a network upgrade which appears to go successfully, and then Recorder 6 still reports the old version in the about box, then to fix this unzip the UpgradeFiles.zip directly ontop of the Recorder 6 server installation folder, replacing any existing files.  This should be all you need to do to fix it.

The problem was reported by Mike Weideli (thanks!), whereby an incorrect registry setting left behind by the install kit causes the upgrade kit to fail to find the Recorder server folder.  Version 6.8's install kit is fixed, plus the upgrade is fixed so that it tolerates this problem even if it is still there.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I've so much of a backlog of work for export/import that I felt I had to try the upgrade on work's version of Recorder 6. Essentially I get the same message as Graham:

Graham Hawker wrote:

We have two standalone versions and I thought I'd give the upgrade a go. All I get is a message that the Registry Editor cannot import C:/Program Files/Recorder 6/Addins/Updaterec6addins.reg  Error opening file. And now Recorder doesn't start (unhandled error at login). Edit: Same thing after a restart - Recorder 6 no longer working. These are definately the sort of upgrades I could do without.

Graham Hawker

Mine is Registry Editor cannot import F:/LRC/R6Server/Addins/Updaterec6addins.reg  Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error. The upgrade then hangs.
Fortunately my Recorder 6 still works after this.
This is not the situation outlined by John in his 4th July posting (i.e. the network upgrade did not appear to go successfully) so I must assume that his solution is not the one I need.

Darwyn

When you run the upgrade, does the file F:/LRC/R6Server/Addins/Updaterec6addins.reg exist?  If so, what happens if you run it (and accept the merge into your registry)?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

It doesn't exist, John. Is it something I can find elsewhere?

In the Upgrade Kit, open the UpgradeFiles.zip file and then the Addins folder within it.  Copy the UpdateRec6Addins.bat file and reg file from the zip file to your server's addins folder (presumably F:/LRC/R6Server/Addins/).  Now, first try running the batch file and see what happens.  If that works, try running the reg file and merging the content.  Let me know what happens.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

24 (edited by Darwyn Sumner (LERC) 28-07-2006 14:19:50)

My detailed response disappeared into the aether so apologies for briefness of this.
Files are only in my CD version "Upgrade Kit for any Recorder 6".
Mission achieved according to your instructions.
What next (I guess try upgrade again)
Ran the upgrade again, long wait for the first blocks of the progress bar to start but I did receive the message "Recorder upgraded"
Still reads version 6.6.8.59 though

Darwyn,

Did it work Ok when you ran the .bat file?

The problem with the version number not changing has been noted elsewhere on this forum - you need to unzip the content of the UpgradeFiles.zip file onto your Recorder 6 installation folder.  In fact, now that I think of it, this is probably the cause of the reg file failure.  This problem is fixed in later builds of Recorder but unfortunately they have not been released yet.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT