Topic: Preferred TVK on Downloads

Hi,
We have been downloading some datasets from Gateway for import into our systems. The downloads contain a 'preferred' taxon version key. However, looking at our (I believe up-to-date) taxon dictionary, the preferred TVK is wrong for the species.

For example, Chlorops meigenii is listed as having a Preferred TVK of NBNSYS0000029994; according to our dictionary it should have  preferred TVK of NBNSYS0100027565.

Can anyone explain what might be happening here? Is the preferred TVK in the dataset the one that was correct at the time of upload and has since been updated??

Many thanks,
Steve

=====================================================
Steve Goddard - IT Officer
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys & Brecon Beacons National Park
T: 01874 610881 - E: steve[at]b-i-s.org - W: www.b-i-s.org

Re: Preferred TVK on Downloads

Hi Steve, we periodically update the Species dictionary on the gateway (usually around twice a year), these updates come from the UK Species Inventory directly so we don't really interfere with what comes in. The last update we applied was on 20th March 2015.

The TVK supplied with a record never changes but the PTVK always updates with the current version of the species dictionary

If you think you have spotted a mistake with the species dictionary you probably need to get in touch with Chris Raper.

Hope that helps
Matt

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK

Re: Preferred TVK on Downloads

Thanks Matt - good to know that the PTVK does get updated. We'll have a think about what to do. Might have to do a lookup using our local taxon dictionary from the original TVK.

Steve

=====================================================
Steve Goddard - IT Officer
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys & Brecon Beacons National Park
T: 01874 610881 - E: steve[at]b-i-s.org - W: www.b-i-s.org