Topic: Requesting access to data across multiple sites

I would like to apply for better access to data across a range of sites, but i am looking to minimise the amount of work for everyone.

There are 972 property boundaries in the National Trust layer on the NBN Gateway. I don't want to make 972 access requests and I'm fairly sure it would annoy all the dataset administrators if I did.

Other options I can think of:
1 - Add a combined object to the NT layer that covers all properties and request on that. Single request. May end up too complicated for the server to process?
2 - Add groups of combined properties, e.g. on a county/region basis and request on these. Balance between number of requests and complexity of objects. Any suggestions as to the ideal number?
3 - Use existing layer to make requests across whole country. This would effectively mean all records in England Wales & N Ireland. Dataset admins might not be happy about giving access to a large number of records that I don't really need.

Other considerations: What would need to happen for any new datasets that are added in the future? Same for any newly acquired NT properties.

What does everybody think?

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Re: Requesting access to data across multiple sites

I'd definitely prefer not to get hundreds of requests - and with a fair number of NT properties in Cumbria for which I have multiple datasets to manage, plus the nationwide dataset I manage, it would be a *lot* of requests! Option 1 would be best I would have thought, if the Gateway can handle it. It seems to take a long time to handle large areas (e.g. waiting for a page like Reports/Sites can take quite a while for an LRC boundary) but I suppose it depends how it handles things both at the request stage and at the "calculating your access" stage.

The new datasets question hasn't been solved to my knowledge - I've had at least one repeat request because the organisation couldn't restrict to new datasets only. It is one of the things that isn't working at all well in V5 IMO.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Hello Gordon

The NBN Gateway does not allow requests for multiple sites within a single access request and having discussed this further, the Gateway would not handle the complexity of treating all the National Trust sites as a single multipart polygon. Unfortunately there isn't currently a way of easily requesting access to all the National Trust sites on the NBN Gateway. The functionality to request access for multiple sites within a single access request is on the wish list of requirements for any future development of the NBN Gateway.

Best wishes
Graham

LRC Wales can easily give you a report on all species records held by LERCs  on NT Wales properties from the all Wales merged database. We just need the boundary shape file.

Janet