Topic: Access Requests

I keep on getting multiple access requests - people are requesting improved access to datasets more than once.  The requests are identical, and come in within a few seconds of each other, so I assume it is a system glitch.  Can anything be done about this, as I still have to confirm/deny these requests - which is currently taking ages to process!

Also, I have had some really odd requests - I had one in December that was from someone who said that he was collating a beetle list for Ayreshire, so why was he asking for data from Devon?  Is this another glitch, making Devon records appear in Scotland?

Ellie Knott

Eleanor Knott
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

Re: Access Requests

Hello Ellie

The access request you received on 28/01/2014 appears in the system as 2 requests 2 minutes apart and it seems as if was the case of user requesting access twice rather than a system glitch. The frequency of multiple access requests overall (this was the first one in 10 days) does not suggest a bug in the system but let me know if you get frequent multiple access requests and I will look into it further.

The request from December was for the beetle taxon group but without a spatial filter applied. Additional bold text has been added to the bottom of the access request form to alert the user to check that the appropriate filters have been applied before submitting their request. Hopefully this will reduce the number of 'odd' requests.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hi Graham

I have just had two identical requests for data that came in within a couple of seconds of each other.  I don't know if it was someone clicking the submit button twice by mistake? 

Cheers
Ellie

Eleanor Knott
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

4 (edited by dan.jones 19-02-2014 14:17:07)

I'm not sure if this is connected but I made an access request this morning which didn't result in any pending access requests on my account page. So I've submitted the request again and still don't have any pending access requests.

The message on screen says "Submitting request..." with a link to "Return to My Account". I don't know if I'm supposed to wait for that message to get replaced by something like "Request submitted successfully" or if that's it. If there's a delay between a request being submitted and that request appearing in the pending requests page that might explain people submitting the same request more than once.

So far I'm still not sure if I've submitted my request successfully at all.

Could maybe do with some what happens next text.

Thanks. Dan

Hi Dan, I have been trying for the last week or so and get exactly the same thing. Submitting request... and nothing.

I have tried various combinations and nothing at all seems to work.

Frustratingly I know other LRC's are using the same type of search parameters as me and their requests are going through, I have the email requesting access!

I figured it was an issue with our account, but it looks unlikely having read your post.

Eric Fletcher
RECORD Manager
http:/www.record-lrc.co.uk

I understand that RECORD's issue was resolved by removing a link from the text of their request.  Presumably this is something that might affect anyone making a request, so it could be worth checking the text of your requests.

Tom Hunt - Association of Local Environmental Record Centres, National Coordinator