Topic: More pink squares

0857h today, IMT taking an age to finish loading although the UK was shown and dots plotted.  Zoom out and you see the reason (attached).

After zooming out, it continued to morph, losing the satellite image completely and converting almost all of the sweet pink to coal black (lower of the attached screenshots).

Why do we need the entire world to be mapped at the expense of abyssmal performance?

If anyone has an argument justifying this digital bling on a site that is supposed to be a serious scientific UK based resource, I am not the only person who would like to hear it.

M.

Post's attachments

Map1-2.jpg 57.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: More pink squares

Just to finish the story, some 5min later the satellite image returned over all except the block of pink squares over W Europe.  Then a couple of minutes after that, I having done nothing more, the satellite imagery went black leaving the pink rectangle and some blue dots.  I can't wait to see what will be there next time I look.

(I have just looked again, and the satellite image is back - and then gone again seconds later!  What spiffing entertainment we have on G5!). 

M.

Re: More pink squares

The issues with pink squares appearing is one which we are already looking into, unfortunately its very difficult to diagnose correctly and we are trying to figure out exactly what is happening there as the issue is very intermittent and the errors are not exactly helpful, the performance has been poor as of late as we are only operating on a single warehouse while we attempt to solve a different issue.

A question about the black squares however, what resolution are you running at as the search bar and other UI appears incredibly small, I can recreate the issue if I set the browser zoom level at its lowest (text size, 25% in chrome), zooming the map in and out as normal doesn't produce this effect as far as I can see, so this may be an issue with the number of images being displayed or an issue with openlayers for example, its difficult to tell, but the number of individual tiles being requested here is quite large.

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK