Topic: Version 6.22 - Help Not Working & Cannot Locate NBN Exchange add in

Please can someone help with a slight problem.

We have upgraded Recorder to version : 6.22.2. However when launching help the error message, Navigation to the web page was cancelled appears and no subject matter. Please can someone assist.

Also after upgrading users cannot locate the NBN Exchange Add In although the instructions have been followed according to the website and no errors were returned.

Please see attached file for screenshots of the problems.

Thank you.

Re: Version 6.22 - Help Not Working & Cannot Locate NBN Exchange add in

The help is a Microsoft problem as they have stopped supporting .chm files over the network.  All we can suggest is that the help file put on each PC that needs it and the regsitry changed to point to the local files. . 

Regarding the NBN Excahnge Addin. Is it show as bing installed in tools/addin modules ?  You can also check which version is installed by going to Help/About recorder 6 and clicking on the More tab. From here you can scroll down to see which addins are installed and the version.

If it isn't showing then you might need to install it again on the workstation where it is needed. 

The addin does not appear in any menu though. It is added to the list of Export types when you export data. The easist way to see this is to highlight a survey in the observation window and click on Tools/Export Data. NBN Exchange should  be in the drop down list of Export types. Users can access the Export in a number of other ways. eg. they can use the Report Wizard  to identify the Records for the NBN or set up an export filter via tools/export management.

Mike Weideli

>>The help is a Microsoft problem as they have stopped supporting .chm files over the network.  All we can suggest is that the help file put on each PC that needs it and the regsitry changed to point to the local files. .

Can't help but feel that .chm are a rubbish way of distributing help files - I've never been able to open them natively on any of the windows machines I've worked on regardless of their location, only crow-bar them open with third party tools just to be able to see any content within them at all. Perhaps I've been doing something wrong, but should be possible to make it a lot more accessible (e.g. just stick it on a website since it's already HTML within the .chm, or at least use a more sensible format) instead of making users mess around with fixes after the fact.

Whinge over,
A.

The help seems to work fine on standalone. Also the context sensitive help needs the chm files so I think we are stuck with that. However, as it happens the next version of help will also be available via the web.

The help for XML reports is now available  in this form at http://www.recorder6.info/WebHelpR6XML/index.htm

Mike Weideli

Thanks for the posts.

We have uninstalled and re-installed the add-in on the server and can see that it has installed by going to, HELP - ABOUT - MORE and NBN exchange is listed.

Also when going to TOOLS – INSTALL – ADD-IN MODULE, on the server we can see that the module is installed.

However when selecting the same options on the client's the add-in cannot be seen to be installed.

Please can you offer some assistance.

Thanks

There is a process which should install the addin on all  workstation once it is installed on any workstation or the server, but I think it gets blocked, because the user opening R6 does not have sufficient permissions to write to the registry. The easiest thing to do will be to install the addin on each of the workstations where it is needed. Follow the same process as installing on the Server, but make sure you have Admin permission on the workstation to write to the files/registry. It may report that the file already exists, but this is not a  problem.

Mike Weideli

Hello

I have attempted to run the add in from a client PC logged in as administrator and as an administrator for recorder but am getting an error message after selecting, tools, install, add-in module before i am even given a chance to select the add-in files.

Please see the attached file for a screen shot of the error.

File isn't there yet. Basically what is the message ?

Mike Weideli

Apologies for the attachment not working. I have pasted the contents of the error message that was saved when the error occurred.

The most relevant part of the message below is " exception message : The class is not configured to support Elevated activation"

I have attempted to attach the document again please can you try and open it again.

date/time         : 2014-03-27, 09:32:00, 734ms
computer name     : WCC-1310278
user name         : kbha <admin>
registered owner  : Warwickshire County Council / Warwickshire County Council
operating system  : Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601
system language   : English
system up time    : 47 minutes 41 seconds
program up time   : 15 seconds
processors        : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
physical memory   : 2194/3476 MB (free/total)
free disk space   : (C:) 417.97 GB
display mode      : 1280x1024, 32 bit
process id        : $674
allocated memory  : 50.72 MB
command line      : RecorderApp.exe /1574270
executable        : RecorderApp.exe
exec. date/time   : 2014-03-24 11:48
version           : 6.22.2.274
compiled with     : Delphi 7
madExcept version : 3.0n
callstack crc     : $4e188f1d, $c36d1587, $c36d1587
exception number  : 1
exception class   : EOleSysError
exception message : The class is not configured to support Elevated activation.

Post's attachments

recorder error.docx 93.6 kb, 3 downloads since 2014-03-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I am seeking further assiatance on this, but in the meantime please can you check and let me know  the registry setting on the local machine  Will be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dorset Software\Recorder 6 - Addin Path. Ignore the Wow6432Node bit of the path if you are on a 32 bit Windows.

Mike Weideli

Please see the settings below,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6]
"Server Name"="SQL-CLUST2"
"Database Name"="NBNData"
"Standalone"=dword:00000000
"Local Data Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Recorder 6 Workstation\\"
"Addin Path"="X:\\Addins\\"
"Trusted Security"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Installed Addins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Installed Addins\GoToGridControl.Go to spatial ref on map.]
"Installed"="1"
"ClsID"="{4A5663A9-05B1-487C-957F-7976C15BFE8B}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Installed Addins\GoToKey.GoTo Key]
"ClsID"="{CD534A80-CEB1-43B2-B7DD-AB9EDCB9CCE5}"
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Installed Addins\ShowUnchecked.Display unchecked records]
"Installed"="1"
"ClsID"="{A8A85E5D-6375-4D10-BEB4-74018CCBF90C}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Installed Addins\StdValLib.Recorder 2000 Standard Validation]
"Installed"="1"
"ClsID"="{1E275EBF-65D1-4AF6-A66E-1C222253A586}"

Is there a reason for the double backslashes in the path settings?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

After exporting any part of the registry that contains a file path and then editing the reg files, double backslashes appear but this is the case for any file path in the registry including programs that are working fine.

I am not sure what the reason is, but in this case it is not the cause of the problem, just how the  reg files appear when edited.

I attach instructions for loading an addin manually. Although the instructions mention a test addin, you should be able to use them to install the NBNExchange  addin. In doing so it may well show why the automatic process is failing.

Post's attachments

Manually Installing a Recorder 6 Addin.zip 96 kb, 27 downloads since 2014-04-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli