1 (edited by ILawrie 31-08-2007 14:06:52)

Re: Weeding out records with no location

Is there an easy way to identify records which have no Grid Reference in Recorder. I'm trying to identify records which may be erroneous (don't have entries in the fields SPATIAL_REF or SPATIAL_REF_SYSTEM in the SURVEY_EVENT table). Can these be followed 'back' from identifying them in the table using SQL Server Management Studio to recognisable records which can then be dealt with through the Recorder 6 interface?

Or better still, can this all be done within SQL Server Management Studio?

Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain

I can't think of a way you could do this within Recorder 6 itself, but in SQL Server Management Studio you could just do a simple select query to find any records without spatial references

Ensure NBNData is selected.

Click <new query> and type:

SELECT *
FROM Survey_Event
WHERE Survey_Event.Spatial_Ref is null or Survey_Event.Spatial_Ref = 'unknown'

If you didn't have that many you could copy the Survey_Event_Key from the results set and use the Go_To addin to go directly to that event in the observation hierarchy.

I'd probably then do a separate select query to identify any probs with spatial_ref_system, e.g.

SELECT *
FROM Survey_Event
WHERE Survey_Event.Spatial_Ref_System is null

Hope this helps,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

This sounds like a good candidate for an XML report as it would be a useful tool for cleaning up data.

Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Sarah

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the GoTo addin but having just tried it, it looks like that tool, combined with SQL Management Studio should enable me to locate any questionable records easily and take action where necessary.

Cheers

Iain