Topic: The count for number of records of a species

When you search for data on a species name, you get a return that includes Info on Name & authority, taxon group and number of records. But that number is confusing me - what is it reporting?

For example, search for the lichen Verrucaria ochrostoma, you get.
Verrucaria ochrostoma Borrer ex Leight., LICHEN, 1 record(s)
But the map shows 8 yellow squares.

Ptinella britannica, a beetle, 2 records(s)
5 squares on the map.

So what does the number actually tell us?
Thanks.

Re: The count for number of records of a species

Hello Stuart

There is an issue with the way the numbers of records are calculated which I have raised to be corrected. The calculation seems to be only taking into account records associated with the preferred taxonversionkey and not including records against other non preferred taxonversionkeys for that species. The maps however are correctly taking these non preferred taxonversionkeys into account

Best wishes

Graham

Thankyou Graham.
Can you post a note to the Forum when that has been fixed, as it could be a useful function to have working correctly.

4 (edited by Phil Brighton 02-02-2014 17:33:21)

I was going to raise a similar query as I had a similar problem of a far smaller record count than squares on the grid map for the following Diptera species:

Acrocera orbiculus

Oxycera nigricornis

Zabrachia tenella

I also wish to comment that when you get a list of record counts eg by specifying only the genus you get all the synonyms separately listed with the same recrod count (which doesn't seem quite consistent with Graham's explanation of the problem above).  Is there any way of getting a list with each record count once only?  It's quite annoying if you want to look quickly at a large genus or a family.