Topic: Record comments

Have we lost the ability to put comments against records on the Gateway? Lichen recorders were fond of using this to let me know of problems with the BLS datasets, but we can't now see how to do it.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Re: Record comments

Hello Janet

Unfortunately record commenting functionality didn't make it in time for the release and is not currently available in the new Gateway. It was generally only used by a handful of users and was often not acted upon by data providers with the commented records remaining in the system and not being updated. Record commenting and verification is an important functionality for the Gateway and it is planned to look into incorporating it in the new Gateway with a higher profile than it had in the old Gateway.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

That would be great - we really valued it even though it was used sparingly. Great for getting comments from experts on obscure taxa. We also used it to mark records we discovered were incorrect between updates.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

I absolutely agree with Teresa. Used sparingly or not, it is an essential part of the quality control of the data as they appear on the Gateway.

M.

I agree that this functionality is needed urgently. I've just discovered that there are lots of records of the RDB2 weevil Orchestes testaceus in Warwickshire, and have received confirmation from the county recorder Richard Wright that this must be the result of a transcription error when records were sent to Warwickshire BRC. It's essential that detection of errors such as this (a) are documented and (b) are corrected as soon as possible.

I find the comments feature very useful for annotating records that I need to look at in more detail on my own database - it would be good to have the facility back.

Not just 'good' to have it back - essential.  It is just one of several valuable functions of the old Gateway which has been lost in the name of 'progress'.

M.