1 (edited by BDeed 23-02-2012 09:37:08)

Re: Web Services Down?

Are the web services down? Queries from our webpage and through soapUI are timing out but there is no notification on the homepage.

-- back up!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Down again this morning! Anyone else experiencing the issue???

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

I am currently getting 'socket error'

Unfortunately it seems to have been down since Friday.
We got back log of report to run but no joy at the moment. :(

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Just come back from holiday to this problem at NEYEDC / HEDC. Anyone got anywhere with it?

Interestingly I would have thought a transport level sockets error would effect all services but our TaxonSearchRequest works fine and when I switch NuSOAP to use cURL it says the sockets error is a 30s timeout retrieving headers. Might be able to fix with a longer timeout I guess.

Extending the timeout just seems to mean it takes a lot longer to fail. Any comment from NBN folks?

I was able to access the service briefly a day or so ago, but now getting timeout as you describe. December was meant to be quiet month!

We mange to get couple of our report run when it was back online ... on Thursday, I think.
There are urgent reports that need to be sent out today but the web services is down again.

IT Officer
www.record-lrc.co.uk

We are still having a problem with the Web Services which as far as I know has been down since Thursday. The error report says:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: javax.xml.soap.SOAPException
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

Commercial Services Officer
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hi
We're very sorry that the SOAP web services are not working at the moment, this is due to ongoing engineering work at CEH, which is also why the old Gateway is not currently working.  We are trying to fix this, but at the moment we can't say when the services will be running properly again.  Sorry for the lack of communication about this over the past couple of weeks, we will keep you updated in future when there is any progress with the SOAP services, but at the moment we can't give a firm date when they will be fixed.
The REST services are available and you can view the API here: https://data.nbn.org.uk/Documentation/W … index.html 
Sorry that there hasn't been anyone available to answer technical queries about the REST API, we are short-staffed at the moment but hope to be able to dedicate staff time to this in the new year.  We appreciate how important this is, especially now that data loading has started on the new Gateway, and we do want to help users adopt the new REST services as soon as possible.

Hi Paula,

Thanks for letting us know! There is also a thread on the REST services (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4984) do you know if the polygon filter is live?

Hi Paula

What are "ongoing engineering works" and how come no provision has been made to keep the servers available during these works? If the roof has fallen in or someone spilt coffee in the server I could understand there being a problem but surely no planned work would have allowed such a prolonged outage of a service so many people are relying on. Are you sure the problem is with CEH because I think my colleagues in Lancaster are too good to be allowing this situation to persist. Do we need to flag a problem with the senior management?

As a work around, we have swapped some of our websites from using the SOAP Grid Map Service to the Atlas Grade Mapping, see https://data.nbn.org.uk/Documentation/W … ade_Maps/. Can you advise whether this is using new or old gateway data. I'm wondering if it is a permanent solution or whether I'll need to reconfigure these sites again soon.

Jim Bacon.