Topic: missing urls

Since the launch of the new version, I suffer numerous search failures with a message about URL cannot be found or deleted.  I'm simply searching for common beetle species by scientific name. Browsing species has the same result. Also links to species from Google search results give the same failures. It is extremely frustrating. I presume this is a known issue?

Re: missing urls

I don't know if this is related, but iSpot has a link to the relevant NBNG map on any posting with an ID offered.  Naturally, iSpot uses a routine with the old URL format, but with the new Gateway, which has a different URL format for the grid map, you get an error if you click that link.

This will be a problem for any search engine and for any external website that has links to the old Gateway, and the implication seems to be that the webmasters first have to discover that there is an error, and then re-code their pages to fit the new one.  For a resource like the Gateway, I don't think that is acceptable.  It was an eminently predictable consequence of the change, and the Gateway code-writers should have ensured that these requests are redirected.  I can't see that it would be an enormous task to write a routine to take the TVK from the requested URL and place it in the new format URL to display the map.

M.

Yes, I have noticed a number of websites that use NBN maps are showing server errors for those maps. The search errors I am mainly referring to are errors when I try to use the NBN Gateway's own search engine. This strikes me as a database indexing issue. Perhaps the webmasters could simply run a standard re-indexing tool. Also, I have followed the Gateway's link to the old database and searching fails there too.

I have just been reminded that it is not only websites that have been landed with this problem.  I have created several Excel and Access files for private use and for clients which contain links to the NBNG grid maps.  These are all now useless, and though I can if need be edit my private files, I can't change those already provided to clients.  I imagine lots of others have done the same.

I would suggest that a re-direct routine on the site is a high priority.

Murdo

Hello

I have added the issue re broken links on the list of issues to see if it possible to redirect the old links though the NBN Gateway is now based of REST services and the change in URLs reflect this.  I will also add the issue of old site URLs coming up in the google search results

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer