Topic: Erroneous dataset download notifications

I don't think this is a major issue but you never know hence the post.

I have today received three notifications that MBB held data has been accessed and downloaded. This in itself is not a problem, what appeared strange is that the search was carried out in Shropshire (SO) while all our data is limited to North Merseyside (SD,SJ).

I have contacted the user and he has checked the data he downloaded and confirmed no MBB data was included and his query was limited to a few monads in Shropshire.

I also checked our data to make sure nothing spatially dodgy had slipped through, there is nothing there...

Attempting to access the download reports produced a "D'oh.."

Has anyone else had this issue? I am assuming it is a small bump in the transfer, but will update if it becomes an issue!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Erroneous dataset download notifications

This may be related - we've just had a request for better access to data that's in Wales (also grid ref SO - a little way from Lincolnshire).

According to the request tool, we have 159 records in the dataset that fall within the criteria but as far as I can tell, we have none.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

As of this morning this now includes a further 12 'downloads' worryingly from an ecological consultant to which we do not provide download access! Again all download notifications seem to be coming from SO grid squares.

"North Merseyside Mammals (verified)", a download that included your dataset was made by ## on 2013-10-21 09:09:24 for Statutory work, the following reason was given;

ecological data search

The filters used in this download where as follows;

All sensitive and non-sensitive records between 1998 and 2013 for Myotis nattereri (Kuhl, 1817) overlap the grid square SO05"

The amount of notifications i am receiving is close to topping 100, where is SX? i'm pretty sure we have no data there either, and now includes another consultant.

Devon/Cornwall......

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

we've had one for sensitive data for Cambridgeshire for a search in SO03, too.........something is clearly not quite right in the new gateway.  Even if data was wanted for a TL of TF search then answer would be the same, but SO!

I've only had the one request so far, so looking forward to being deluged in the next couple of weeks.

I've also had a couple of requests relating to SO and SX both reports say the request includes records from our dataset.
Another minor niggle: when looking at the 'Species tab' for my dataset if you click on the sort arrows beside 'number of observations' it sorts in alphanumeric order so I can't see which species has the most records etc.

8 (edited by LBamforthSWT 21-10-2013 13:39:50)

We've just had a couple of requests relating to data in SJ, which obviously is a little way from Scotland! As BDeed did, I just checked in case there was something odd in our data, but there's nothing down there...

I'm also having problems responding to access requests - if I write a response and try to send it, it chugs away for quite a while, then eventually gives me the 'D'oh. Something went wrong' message.  Is anyone else having problems with this?

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Biodiversity Data Analyst
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Hi

The access request and data download functionality has been temporarily switched off while the problem with the spatial filter is being fixed - thank you for bringing it to our attention, and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Regarding the access requests/downloads by consultants, I am aware of two consultants who have done this today, both have been contacted and notified of the NBN Gateway terms and conditions.  I have also posted about this in the CIEEM and UK Ecology Professionals LinkedIn groups.

Paula

Hello

The issue with sending out access requests outside the requested geographical area has been fixed on the new Version of the NBN Gateway. Access request and data download functionality has now been turned back on.

Best wishes
Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer