Re: Provision of Habitat Data

Herefordshire Biological Records Centre is currently nearing completion of the digitisation of a countywide phase 1 survey.

I am currently in the process of producing documents on the following topics:

·    Charging policy for the supply of habitat data
·    Terms and conditions for the supply of the habitat data
·    Survey caveats
·    Digitising caveats

Does anyone have any completed or partially completed documents on any of these topics?

Any help at all would be gratefully received.

Helen

Helen Forster
Biological Data Assistant
Herefordshire Biological Records Centre

Tel: (01432) 261538
Fax: (01432) 383354
Email: hforster@herefordshire.gov.uk

P.O. Box 144
Hereford
HR1 2YH

So far no one seems to have placed a response to Helen’s posting so while we are waiting I would like to raise some relevant concerns both as a potential user of and potential contributor to my local BRC [which happens also to be Herefordshire]. If anyone wants to know anything about archaeological or heritage sites in the same county its all freely available on line www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk. For example, medieval ridge-and-furrow sites in the parish of, say, Adforton produces a series of locations with grid references in just a few mouse clicks – there are further links to site specific data if such exists. By contrast if you want to know anything about species or habitats in that same parish (say unimproved grassland or species records) a formal request must be made to the Council the results of which usually have to be paid for. Although I’m involved in a project wholly dedicated to conserving and enhancing habitats I am apparently considered a ‘commercial’ user along with shopping mall developers and road builders. Not only that but the data comes with a set of ‘terms and conditions’ so restrictive as to make that data almost unusable. Perhaps someone can explain why there is such a difference between heritage data and biological data in Herefordshire and what is the position in other counties? Presumably the whole point of having biological data in the first place is to increase knowledge of the resource so as to promote, protect and conserve that very same biodiversity. It appears to me that restricting the supply of biodiversity information in this way retards rather than advances the cause of conservation. I’d be interested in any responses to this issue which seems to go the heart of what a BRC is actually for. David Lovelace, Native Woodland Restoration in Herefordshire project. david@tilia.org.uk

I think what we have here is an example of the different duties that local authorities have in respect to archaeological/ historic site data compared to biodiversity data. They have a statutory duty to maintain a sites register and thus under different legislation must make this available.  This is not the case for biodiversity data.  They have a statutory duty to further conservation, take heed of biodiversity data in arriving at decisions linked to spatial planning etc. but they have no statutory duty to hold such data. So, we have the situation where some LA's run LRC, some have a service level agreements with a LRC (some on better terms than others) and  some have no such relationship because no LRC exists and they get whatever information they need to meet planning regulations from some other source. I think this is something you need to take up with the local authority directly, perhaps through your local councilor. There are quite a few source publications you can use to make your case.  The NBN Trust has produced a few that might help such as our exchange principles and statement on LRC - have a browse in the library section of the NBN web site.  Another especially useful publication has been produced by ALGE (Association of Local Government Ecologists) which describes the environmental duties of local authorities and points them at the sort of data they need to meet those duties and where they should be sourcing the data from. This can be obtained as a download from the ALGE web site http://www.alge.org.uk/publications/files/index.php and look for Biodiversity Data Needs for Local Authorities and National Park Authorities.

Hope this helps