Topic: Edit taxon details and user added status designation

Some time ago now I tagged several hundred species in my copy of R6 with a local status designation, by using edit taxon details. How can I pull out a list of species based on that, or indeed any particular status designation. I don't think I can do this within Recorder, can I?

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

Re: Edit taxon details and user added status designation

On thefirst window of the report wizard select  restrict report to one or more designations. Not sure if this will help as can't try just at the moment, but it is a place to start. Let me know how you get on and if necessary I will research further.

Mike Weideli

That will bring up a list of records, not species surely Mike. Of course the output could then be processed to find unique examples.

I know that resourcing issues make it unlikely, but this does raise a couple of things which it would be nice to see in later versions . Namely the ability to view/edit taxa with a given designation (as opposed to designations for a taxon which we can do now) and also the ability to view /edit designation sets (which I have to do manually at the moment).

A couple of simple xml reports should cover the viewing part, which would do for now (and when it next annoys me sufficiently to find the time, I will probably get round to creating them). Editing would require some coding and is less likely to happen, I guess.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

It will of course and only those you have data for. An XML report will be easy enough to do and  I think there are some   about which will do this or nearly so. I often do reports for users, but don't make them generally available, because they need tidying up for general release, which is sometimes more time consuming than doing the basic rerport (and less interesting). I will have a look later today.

As far as the other things you mention are concerned,  the use of addins to do other jobs is a much more realistic option than changing core recorder. For one thing they are cheaper (I can do them) and don't require the level of testing or  approval that a change to the core system requires.   Addins need to be carefully specified, as changes after they are done can be difficult. If you want to give some thought to what you want I may be able to do something later this year.

Mike Weideli

Happy to do so and discuss with you later, but I think what I wrote above will cover it for the most part.

As an LRC we are often asked why a specific taxon has been reported as notable (or not), or for lists of species which have a designation. It is not yet easy to extract this information from recorder and answering such questions  can be time consuming. Usually my time because most of our staff & volunteers cannot yet write xml reports.

As for the designation sets, we now use these quite widely, and would probably use them more, but they are not viewable from within the UI, only creatable through a batch update or manually/externally and editing them can be a bit of a nightmare.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thanks for your comments Mike/Rob. I managed to produce the list I needed by, as you say, producing the records and then processing the results in Excel. But this would miss spp. for which there are no records. Interesting to read the chat that my initial enquiry has generated. Agreed, the ability to edit/view taxa with given designation would be a very useful feature to have, and Rob is not alone in being asked for spp. with specified designation.

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

Rob

I was stuck in over the weekend so had a go at an addin to manage the taxon designation sets. This is attached. Please give it a try when you have time (anyone can try it).  You  shouldn't be able to do any damage with it, but suggest you have backup before you give it a try. Addin and some basic documentation are attached.

Post's attachments

ManageDesignationSets.ocx 760 kb, 13 downloads since 2013-10-07 

R6AddinManageSets.zip 6.51 kb, 12 downloads since 2013-10-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Mike you are a star, although your choice of weekend entertainment suggests that you might need to get out more.

The add-in loaded successfully and looks like it will do the job, although I don't have time for any rigorous testing right now. I will post more when I have a chance to run it through its paces.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Looks good - just a quickie. The title of the window is "Manage user added taxa" - should be "Manage designation sets"?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks. Will fix when have other comments or bugs reported. There is also an Addin for Managing User Added  Taxa if anyone is interested in it. Covers creating and managing users added taxa, including being able to include them in the correct place in taxonomic sorts/hierarchy.  Also replacing them when NHM taxa becomes available. (needs 6.18 or above)

Mike Weideli

The user added taxa would be useful Mike (have I missed it on the forum??)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Not sure if it has been mentioned before. It has only been tested by me, so will be very pleased if anyone can give it a try. It can affect taxon determinations so some care is required.

Post's attachments

ProjectManageUserTaxa.zip 400.95 kb, 5 downloads since 2013-10-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike- I've started a new thread http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=18459

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Mike

We just tried out your ManageDesignationSets addin, for the first time in a real situation. It works fine, but I have a couple of observations:

Firstly it is not entirely intuitive when it comes to adding and removing designations from the set. I think this is because in most other situations where you have two boxes side by side listing items, as you do in the bottom half of the addin (such as in the taxon selection part of the wizard), it seems to be customary to have the destination pane (in this case the contents of the designation set) on the right & the available items on the left. Confused us for a minute or two because we were trying to remove one item from an existing set and were presented with two full listboxes.

Second, it would be nice to have a confirm changes button, rather than having the addin update the database live. It would be only too easy to edit something wrongly and then close the addin, assuming the error would be lost, especially if you had made several changes.

Finally (and this is a cheeky one), the other thing i mentioned above was having the ability to edit the local designations themselves. I envisage a similar addin screen where you can select a local designation & see all the taxa which are designated, along with the ability to add and remove taxa from the designation. I can see that this might be a bit more complex, but if you ever have a bit of time on your hands...

Many thanks for an already useful bit of kit though.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I can tidy it up fairly easily.  Having a confirm buton makes it much more complicated because all the information needs to be held in memory or temporary tables. I  will give it some thought.

I can see how the second request might work. The selecting an additional taxa would have to be done by displaying the standard dictionary Window and selecting from there. Might have a go at this using 'Confirm Button' approach, which would help in working out how to do the other one.

Mike Weideli